Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opposite of thicken?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

I am in the process of designing a mold, and I need to account for the thickness of my surface prep, therefore I need to make my mold part slightly smaller than the part. I made the part in ordered using surfaces, and to make the mold I stiched the part into a solid body and have been working with that. But I need to remove thickness from all the faces to account for surface prep, such as paint. I tried scalling it, but that doesnt work because their is an inner lip that needs to thickness removed in the opposite direction from the outer surface. I really need a tool that is similar to thicken, but will work in opposite of thicken. Any suggestions? 

Hopefully I make sense.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES

Re: Opposite of thicken?

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

That's the same command.

After entering the thickness you can choose the direction.

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge 2019 & AutoCAD 2019 user

Legend
Legend

Thin Wall

Sander
The Netherlands

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Try Offset Faces with the body option.

Home tab>Modify group.

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

Phenom
Phenom

Rather than doing this to your part, I would suggest using a part copy and then using offset faces to make it smaller by however much smaller you need those faces.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Experimenter
Experimenter

This seems like the correct option, but I get the error of "failed to extract appropriate geometry for a vertex", I assume because of the complex geometry. Any help there?

Experimenter
Experimenter
This seems like the correct option, but I get the error of "failed to extract appropriate geometry for a vertex", I assume because of the complex geometry. Any help there?

Experimenter
Experimenter
Actually, I can do it with my surface, and then I will stitch the new surfaces together. I think this should work.