Optimize geometry of this part frooze my workstation

Phenom
Phenom

I just downloaded a model from Tracepart online and opened it for some minor changes.

As usual I do geometry optimization when required by circled i sign in pathfinder.

This operation leterally frooze my workstation

Anybody willing to try it ?

ST9 MP7 and MP8 tested and frooze me

Thanks

12 REPLIES

Re: Optimize geometry of this part frooze my workstation

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
I'm running ST8 so couldn't try on that version. I've tried it with ST10 and it optimised fine, no issues.

CAD/CAE Manager
ST8 MP12

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yep, hard freeze. Soft reboot wouldn't work. Had to hit the reset button.

Edit: ST10 beta worked fine. Different machine though. Another machine with ST9 just said failed to optimize but didn't lock up. Ran it again on both machines with simplify body only and it worked.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

What was the native file type you downloaded?

Consider re-downloading the file,  maybe something went wrong there.???

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX10 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.6

Phenom
Phenom

It was a native Solid Edge file, in fact the file I have uploaded it is what I have downloaded from Tracepart.
Haven't tried to download it in a neutral format, my post was more to know if it was my workstation or a Solid Edge issue.

In my opinion it should be investigated by GTAC

P.S.: downloaded in Step format, imported and optimized without problems.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Fiorini

So you didn't try setting the option to simplify body only?

Bruce Shand

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Just because the format you downloaded was a Solid Edge .par file type does not automatically mean that the Solid Edge file is a native Solid Edge file -- the data could have still been imported prior to you downloading the .par version.

I was able to successfully Optimize this file in ST10  without any issues.

Phenom
Phenom

uk_dave wrote:

Just because the format you downloaded was a Solid Edge .par file type does not automatically mean that the Solid Edge file is a native Solid Edge file -- the data could have still been imported prior to you downloading the .par version.

I was able to successfully Optimize this file in ST10  without any issues.

Sorry Dave but I don't get the point of your message. Somebody asked me in what format I have downloaded it and that's the one.

In my opinion a tool in the current Solid Edge release that frooze the whole PC should be investigated.

I did try with ST10 too and it works so it must be a ST9 issue.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

You said it was a "native Solid Edge" file -- it is not native -- it has still been imported from somewhere, you just don't have access to the original file format that it was imported from. That is not the same thing as stating it is a native file.

As for reporting the issue, then please follow the proper process you normally use for submitting issues. In the meantime as you have ST10 and can successfully import into ST10, after optimizing in ST10 did you then try exporting out to a Parasolid and then reimporting the Parasolid back into ST9? Although there may be an issue with ST9 , this workflow should still give you a working solution that will be faster than submitting an IR to GTAC and waiting on a fix from development so tha tyou can them optimize succsefully in ST9.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I guess my microphone is off or something. Why go through all that when setting the option to simplify body only works?

Bruce Shand