Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimum desktop configuration for Solid Edge

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hey Guys,

I am looking to build a new desktop to run Solid Edge and Dynamic Designer Motion Professional. My biggest assembly would have at the most 15000 parts. From the internet i have learnt that clock speed of the processor is more important compared to number of cores for CAD softwares but i am not sure if thats the case for DDM. Will DDM benefit from more cores ? Also I would like to do some FEA analysis in solid edge.  

What would you guys recommend my configuration should be ?

I don't want the config to be an overkill 

The configuration I am considering is :-

Processor - Intel i7 8700k or 8700

RAM - 16 GB

Graphic Card - Quadro P400 or 600(not sure which card would be good)

500GB SSD

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8

Betreff: Optimum desktop configuration for Solid Edge

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @balaji1991

as said, clock rate is one of the most inmprotant issues for SE itself.

For the CPU decision I personally would prefer the Xeon W-2125 or from the I7 family the older 7700

Both have a higher initial freuquency

And I suppose the graphics card to be a P4000 and not a P400

And even for SE and especially when talking about DDM and FE I think the 16GB of memory to less and not adequate for the current systems.

32GB minimum or better 64GB would not make a big difference from the cost point of view, but of course for the usage and performance

regards
Wolfgang

Pioneer
Pioneer
Thank you sir for your valuable inputs.

Wouldn't quadro P4000 be an overkill as I am not going to be using a lot of rendering on keyshot.

Would DDM and FEA benefit from more number of cores ?

Hi @balaji1991

FEM definetively will take use and advantage of mor cores/CPUs, and depending on the model size You plan to have or You need to work with, the P4000 will be a real great graphics card.

If You think it is to overpowered then take the P2000 but I personally would not use anything smaller.

But again, this depends on Your needs and on Your budget.

I have learned over the years, that whenever planning and buying a new hardware, just try to get the best of this time.

It will will be old tomorrow anyway, but You have to live with it for the next couple of years.

And investing good money into good hardware will bring You happiness and good performance for a long time.

So it is no surprising that we have computers here with an age of 10 years but the still are doing a good and satisfying job.

regards
Wolfgang

@balaji1991  The graphic card is heavily used with assemblies and parts in displaying shading/textures/hidden edges/highlighted selections/etc and greatly aids in efficient zooming/panning/rotation...  The P400/600 are essentially a high end 2D / low end 3D cards and will not be efficient.  Per @hawcad's recommendation I would go with a P4000/5000 for use with 15,000 part assemblies and at a bare minimum, the P2000.

FYI, Keyshot rendering is performed on the CPU and thus does not require a high end card...

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP8, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Re: Optimum desktop configuration for Solid Edge

Hi there @balaji1991,

I have pretty much, apart from the storage size, that system spec on our machines here....and performance is great. None of our assemblies would ever get to 15k parts ,but what is also important, is the level of detail in the parts.

I'm currently working on an 5970 part assembly & 41 sheet draft, with no issue....even with the data residing on a [DS916+] NAS device.

i7 8700K 3.7GHz [+ Liquid Cooling]

16GB Ram

250GB NVMe SSD

Quadro P2000 [Driver 384.76]

As others have said, a P2000 would be the lowest card you'd want to use for that many parts, even simplified.....and more RAM.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP8] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Pioneer
Pioneer
Thank you sir for sharing this information.
Do you overclock the cpu to 4.7GHz ?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thank you @KennyG for sharing your knowledge.

Hi ,

No, I opted to run these at base frequency initially, but have just been contemplating doing that very thing, as overclocking these CPU's is very easy to adjust, which is why I specified liquid cooling to cater to this future mod, and the systems have proven themselves as very stable over the time we've been running them.
Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP8] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000