Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P&ID & isometric views of a Plant

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Hello Everyone,

This one is specifically aimed for those who are in this industry segment (Plant design, containing major portion of piping/tubing) & are using Solid Edge for their P&ID. Others with very good knowledge of assembly (especially Piping & tubing) & drafting can also share their advice/suggestions.

Now, what I am looking for in Solid Edge is the most efficient & the best way to create P&IDs *WITHOUT THE USE OF ANY EXTRA MODULE/ADD-ON*, which means using Solid Edge's in-built capability to create these kind of diagrams.

Also, ways to automate the diagram creation process (by setting different areas relating to this, like creating custom parts list to show the cut lengths etc.)

Hoping to get valuable suggestions from the community & also to set-up a guide-like-thing for anyone looking for some help with this topic. it would be better if you guys can support your points with images/videos. That will make things alot easier for everyone to understand.

& Thanks in advance for taking out the time on this.

Paras Raina
Technical Head | Solid Edge 2019 | NX 12.0.2
MSC Systems Pvt. Ltd. (India)
6 REPLIES

Re: P&ID & isometric views of a Plant

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
I know you said no add-ons but this really is your best option.

http://www.smap3d.com/Piping/en/concept.html

CAD/CAE Manager
ST8 MP12

Solution Partner Genius

@Guy_H77Smap3D is quite a good piece of software for this work, but honestly, with Piping & Tubing related functions already present inside Solid Edge (and one needs a premium version for that), the companies expect to get their job done without relying on anything else.

This was exactly my point of starting a new discussion. I, personally, have tried this using many different ways to get P&ID. I used the view configurations, simplified parts, blocks, some functions in drafting application specifically for Piping related drawings, & many others.

Let me know if you have some suggestions.

Thanks.

Paras Raina

Phenom
Phenom

For anyone without a premium license, there is also the option of using Frames for piping where you are joining components (elbows, tees etc) with straight sections. However, you need to do is create the pipe sections and components.

Not so good for tubing where you require bends as you can only have one bend radius per frame.

One advantage of frames is that if you are doing a lot of pipes or tubes you don't get all the individual part files that XPresroute creates.

This, of course, is a disadvantage if you need bend details etc.

Frames will also let you have just one entry per frame section in the parts list by creating a 'Total Length' parts list,

rather than individual parts. I would prefer it if XPresroute worked in a similar way to Frames, by using a pre-defined cross-section rather than having to define diameters at creation time, and with the ability to do a total length parts list..

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST10 MP6 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

Solution Partner Genius

@beachcomber

You are correct. One can use framing capbilities for the piping as well. But that does have some limitations (why would Siemens add a separate module, if we could do everything in framing).

But yeah, nonetheless, its helpful for the classic Edgers.

Thanks for sharing this.

Paras Raina

Experimenter
Experimenter
Hello paras plz also share the things that their is another license for Pipe Fittings in Premium version. (Premium + Auto Fittings Pipeing license.) Same as Similar To the Smap3D .

LaxmiKant Tiwari
Freelancer Design Engineer
SolidEdge ST10 , Solidworks 2017, Creo 2.0

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

Just to complete it.

For the isoview of pipes I see only a solution with Addons.

See this video about iso.EDGE

The beauty of the solution is that the data are coming from the pure Solid Edge XpresRoute and Pipinglib.iso.edge.png

Stefan

smitsch@unitec.de
www.all4edge.de