Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC freezes and restarts from time to time during display actions - graphics adapter as a cause?

Genius
Genius

Hi

My PC freezes every now and then (every several hours) during actions like zooming or rotating the displayed figure and the computer rebootes a while after that automaticely.

My first idea is, may be there is some kind of fault in the graphics adapter, which is a GEFORCE GTX 660 with 2 Gb RAM onboard.

Is there any way to track down the real cause of that fault? Or is there no way and the suggestion is to buy a new graphics adapter on spec?

In case You suggest to buy a new a graphics adapter, which one would You suggest for use with solid edge and not inferior to that one I use now?

Best regards

Hans

13 REPLIES

Re: PC freezes and restarts from time to time during display actions - graphics adapter as a cause?

Phenom
Phenom

I would first of all make sure your graphics drivers are up to date - this can fix a lot of grahical problems.

Having said that, I don't know if your problem is related to graphics card issues or not, though it is a fairly old one now, and quite low in graphics memory by current standards.

If you're in the market for an upgrade, Siemens recommend professional graphics cards e.g. Nvidia Quadro range over gaming cards (Geforce) and the drivers for these are much more stable, thought TBH the Geforce cards are fine in my experience and cheaper! I'd look for the best card in the latest Geforce/Quadro ranges that you can budget for [Geforce 10xx, or Quadro Pxxx].

Edit: Actually TBH 2Gb memory isn't too bad.

Re: PC freezes and restarts from time to time during display actions - graphics adapter as a cause?

Genius
Genius

Thank You Alex

I have the recent driver for the graphics adapter already installed.

• Can I distinguish between a driver problem and a hardware problem - The whole PC (not only the application) freezes with a black screen ?

My current graphisc adapter seems to meet the needs, as I didn't recognize any delay in zooming or rotating a part or assembly. Recent graphics adapters are more powerful. The  GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti has nearly the same specification like the Quadro 6000, which is six times more expensive and therefore too much for me.

Now there are some more questions and thoughts:

• What is the advantage/disadvantage of QUADRI compared to GEFORCE in construction and simulation in real life? Are there features missing in GEFORCE or is it found to be less stable?
  • Zotac, Gigabyte, Palit, Gainward.. all offer a "GTX ....". What is the difference between their GTX models with the same number ?

In comparison the technicals specification of some NVidia cards, all PCI-Expresse 3.0 .... are there other points, I should look for?

my current graphics card:

• Geforce GTX660: _____2GB GDDR5/192bit/144Gb/s ;__CUDA    960 parallel cores; ___ca. 180€

I guess cards within my maximum price range:

• Geforce GTX1080Ti: _11GB GDDR5/352bit/484Gb/s ;__CUDA 3584 parallel cores;___ca. 800€
  • Quadro P4000:_______8GB GDDR5/256bit/243Gb/s;___CUDA 1792 parallel cores;___ca. 900€

too expensive

• Quadro P6000:______24GB GDDR5/384bit/432Gb/s ;__CUDA 3850 parallel cores;__ca. 4500€

Genius
Genius

Thank You Alex

I have the recent driver for the graphics adapter already installed.

Now there are some more questions and thoughts:

• Can I distinguish between a driver problem and a hardware problem - The whole PC (not only the application) freezes with a black screen ?
  • What is their real life experienced advantage/disadvantage of QUADRO compared to GEFORCE for SE-construction and simulation? (Missing features, less stable)
  • Are there quality differences of GEFORCE cards between Zotac, Gigabyte, Palit, Gainward.. all offer a "GTX ....".

In comparison the technicals specification of some NVidia cards, all PCI-Expresse 3.0 .... are there other points, I should look for?

my current graphics card:

• Geforce GTX660: _____2GB GDDR5/192bit/144Gb/s ;__CUDA    960 parallel cores; ___ca. 180€

I guess cards within my maximum price range:

• Geforce GTX1080Ti: _11GB GDDR5/352bit/484Gb/s ;__CUDA 3584 parallel cores;___ca. 800€
  • Quadro P4000:_______8GB GDDR5/256bit/243Gb/s;___CUDA 1792 parallel cores;___ca. 900€

too expensive

• Quadro P6000:______24GB GDDR5/384bit/432Gb/s ;__CUDA 3850 parallel cores;__ca. 4500€

Phenom
Phenom

hi @Hans11

There's an app called GPU profiler (https://github.com/JeremyMain/GPUProfiler/releases) which will tell you how hard your GPU is working and how much RAM it's using. That could tell you if you're hitting the performance limits. Might also tell you if you if it crashes when it is worked hard. In terms of testing what's broken, I don't know of hand of any diagnostic applications unfortunatly. In the past I had a Geoforce card failing and when gaming it would have errors in the polygons that were being rendered and a lot of crashes.

Siemens only officially support Quadro, so they won't help you with SE issues related to graphics if you run Geforce. Nvidia will tell you Quadro is much better for professional applications. But.... IMO the Geforce range are much better value for money so it depends on who's paying for it! I have a Geforce GTX 970 at home (that I payed for), and a Quadro on my work machine. The extra support is worth alot when it comes to business stuff.

RE the different 'types' of Geforce. Nvidia manufacture the Quadro range themeselves, but do not make the Geforce range. For these, they sell the GPU processor and designs to Asus, Gigabyte etc to make. In general there's not much difference between an Asus GTX1070 and a Gigabyte GTX1070. Sometimes there are overclocked versions, or slightly different memory amounts or connectors to allow the manufacturers to differentiate. I would go for a good brand like Asus, Gigabyte or PNY.

The key features are memory amounts (key for large models) and  the cuda processors is an indication of processing capability. The 10xx and Pxxx are both based on the same, latest "Pascal" architecture so are very similiar under the hood.

Genius
Genius

Hi Alex

just looking at the specification, the GEFORCE at the same price has twice the number of CUDA cores and twice the memory data rate. But I have no feeling, if I would feel anything about that extra performance in daily work with Solid Edge.

QUADRO on the other hand is certified. And some tests say, that the QUADRO cards would outperform the GEFORCE by far in CAD use, without explaining details, just saying QUADRO would works smoothly, while GEFORCE does not ... ??

So may be QUADRO offers some special tools, SE is using for acceleration some processes, which GEFORCE is lacking?

best regards

Hans

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Pioneer
Pioneer

What caught my eye was the "automatic reboots" this can be a sign of a faulty power supply, or perhaps one that does not have enough power; maybe the zooming/rotation operations are drawing more power than the power supply can deliver?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Automatic reboots can also be an indicator of bad RAM.

MemTest86 is a good RAM diganostic tool...

https://www.memtest86.com/

Genius
Genius

Hi

Some additional information regarding the reboot ...

there is another behaviour, I do not understand.

Soft-reboot of Windows never works with my workstation. I ALWAYS  (not only after a system freeze) have to shut the system down, switch the PC off and restart for new. Does anybody know, what is the difference between a "restart" of the system and a new start after the electric system was switched off?

A "restart" of Windows 10 always works only until the little points indicate Windows is loading. Then it freezes. Shutting off the system, switching off electricity, lets Windows start smoothly.

I had the idea, that initialization of Windows stops in the moment, when the graphics adapter wants to switch from some lower resolution to the full resolution for displaying the log-in screen.

Maybe this is another hint that something is faulty with the graphics adapter? Anybody who knows more about these processes?

best regards Hans