Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDF Metadata

Legend
Legend

A question was posed today on the use of metadata tags in the ERP system to keep track of file information such as project names, materials, drawing title, rev, etc. This had me wondering, I looked in the printing and save as options and didn't see any real way to possibly output these things.

Has anyone done something like this?

16 REPLIES

Re: PDF Metadata

Genius
Genius
Long before Solid Edge started being able to save as PDFs, we started using PDF995 to create them. There is utilities in it to store some Metadata (Title, Subject, Keywords) upon creation.
Dale Smith
Mitsubishi Electric Power Products, Inc.
ST10 MP7 - Insight

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hello @DaleSmith, @nanan00,

Is there any solution for this issue in solid edge ST8 or upper versions now?
I am facing the same issue.
Or is there any alternative easy solution?

Hello @hawcad, as always I want your suggestion.
Hello @marcboom, as you recently gave me a brilliant solution for file management system, can you please suggest me for this issue also?

Regards,
Aslam

Genius
Genius
It looks like the SaveAs PDF adds the Title, Subject, & Keywords properties from the SE file into the PDF. If you are able to leverage them, then you can work with that. Like I said, we have used PDF995 since version 15 to add metadata to PDF files.
Dale Smith
ST10 MP7 - Insight

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Thank you @DaleSmith for your reply.

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Besides the basic ones - Title, Author, Subject and Keywords -Solid Edge appears to be supporting Document Number and Rev ID but not sure where it ends up in the PDF properties.

PDFProperties.png

Also PDF supports custom properties but does pick them from the Solid Edge custom properties.

PDFCustomProps.png

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Thank you @Tushar for your reply. Yes, PDF support custom property.bI want that custom property value will be taken from 3d file to sort and group pdfs by that type in a windows folder.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hello @DaleSmith,

I want to present my situation in detail.
Suppose I have part files which have custom property, document number etc. When I make drawing PDF of that part from associated draft file, I want the pdf file will carry the custom property, document number of that part file. Is that possible with the app you noted? If yes, can you please show/suggest how to do that? I have published a PDF with that app but can't find how to add those metadata.

Regards,
Aslam

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Unless the properties exist on the file that you are creating the PDF from, you are not going to be able to "automagicallly" pull properties from another file into your PDF file properties.

Genius
Genius
With PDF995, you can add custom properties to the PDF file with pdfedit995. It's a little clunky, but it works manually.
You seem to be asking a lot of what your PDFs needs to do. As of now, we manage our PDF files in Insight/SharePoint and there is FTR (Full text retrieval) on the PDFs so whatever is displayed on the PDF is searchable in the PDM system. We have leveraged this and really don't use the properties within the PDF file anymore.
Dale Smith
ST10 MP7 - Insight