PDM solutions for Solid Edge

Experimenter
Experimenter

Dear SE users,

While looking for PDM solutions for Solid Edge, I was wondering if edge plm is the only solution specific to SE. 

And my second question is : Do Solidworks PDM solutions also match with SE  environment?

35 REPLIES

Betreff: PDM solutions for Solid Edge

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @PaulyD

and whats about the Build In Data Management capabilities?

If they are not functional enaough You can upgrade to Insight.

But - depending on what Your needs will be, how many seats of SE You have to serve, the BuildIn DM functions are not so bad, and what we have seen in the sneak previews for ST10 the will be enhanced too.

regards
Wolfgang

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Hello @PaulyD,

I would recommend that you first look at the solutions that we (Siemens) develop and certify for Solid Edge - our built-in data Solid Edge management capabilites, and for more complex requirements Teamcenter. Links to more information and demo videos for both of these are here:

http://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_us/products/solid-edge/data-management/index.shtml

Then you can always look at our partner solutions:

http://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_us/products/solid-edge/applications/design-management-confi...

Some of these are also developed for SolidWorks - but I would look for a solution that has been integrated specifically with Solid Edge (like those on this list)

best regards

Dave

{David Chadwick}, {Solid Edge Global Product Marketing}, {Siemens PLM Software}

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@drchadwi, Interesting that there is no mention of Insight. Is Siemens trying to gently usher it out the back door and say goodbye?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@PaulyD If you are set on a 3rd party PDM tool, be aware that the link @drchadwi gave you is a small list of all available PDM partners.  You can find more in the following link but be aware it lists all partners not just PDM ones...

http://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_us/partners/partnerSearchResults.cfm?action=searchresults&c...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Bruce,

we continue to support Insight but our deveopment efforts are more focused around built-in data management and Teamcenter - so for new Solid Edge users we recommend they look first at these solutions

best regards

Dave

{David Chadwick}, {Solid Edge Global Product Marketing}, {Siemens PLM Software}

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Whatever happened to Solid Edge SP?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Quite a radical difference in level of sophistication between those two - BiDM and TC.

Bruce Shand

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@mdamson  Another soon to be orphan on the heap with Insight I'd guess. "We continue to support Insight" is not exactly confidence building.

Bruce Shand

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@bshand I noticed the lack of emphasis on Insight and SE4SP also.  The fact that the BiDM could conceivably do about everything Insight can do since Insight's claim to fame was Indexed properties and free (given the right SE license) and also that SE4SP was Sharepoint based and did everything Insight should have been able to do, it's understandable that Insight might go into "maintain" mode...  But I'm guessing there is a pretty big jump in pricing, functionality, and complexity going from SE4SP to TeamCenter unless the pricing has changed, Rapid Start simplifies the config of TC dramatically, and TC has been repackaged to make it a breeze to install and maintain which makes me doubt it would go into maintenance mode, but marketing sure isn't mentioning it.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1