Solved! Go to solution

PMI dimensions in render image

Hi fellow edgers,

I have received a research request for our new catalog.

In the past we have placed the views with dimensions in 2D, now we would like to create a 3D image with dimensions placed on it. See the image below:

However via Keyshot you get a smooter image. How do I show the PMI dimensions in Keyshot?

-------
Daniël Schuiling
Solid Edge ST7
Teamcenter 10
12 REPLIES

Re: PMI dimensions in render image

I have done some paint.NET work to create lines in a render image. But it's a process of 2 hours.

-------
Daniël Schuiling
Solid Edge ST7
Teamcenter 10

It seems that Siemens and other users don't have any solution, me too Smiley LOL

I have send the 'problem' to our reseller, they have send the request to Keyshot. If I have some information I will share it.

-------
Daniël Schuiling
Solid Edge ST7
Teamcenter 10

Hello,

I have an answer from Keyshot, hereby the quote:

Sorry, this isn't possible. These annotations would need to be geometry for KeyShot to see them. It can be shown though, if need. Just add a plane with these annotations (as a texture with transparency).

I replied how we create this. Answer:

You can add a plane in KeyShot and place a color texture on the plane that would show the annotations. Also, you would need to use the same texture map as opacity (to cut it out). I attached a simple example to show what I mean. Hope this helps.

If there are SE users that know how this can be done, please share.

-------
Daniël Schuiling
Solid Edge ST7
Teamcenter 10

I used to use a software package where I could render an image, then double click on the geometry or a feature in the tree, and the dimensions would show up on the rendered image. I'm sure this was a graphics bug, and if I had mentioned this to them, they would have "fixed" it.

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author DanielMCMLXXXII
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Hi,

Here are two videos about steps. Unfortunately, not a simply way.

1. In this video you can see that PMI is on the background picture.

2. This was suggested by KeyShot AE. You can add plan as a geometry in KS! Positioning of plan isn't an easy thing...

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

It's a huge work around to create the dimensions according the last youtube movie.

I will give it a try.

Thanks

-------
Daniël Schuiling
Solid Edge ST7
Teamcenter 10

Hi,

Yes, so I suggest using first solution when PMI is an background image! This a little bit timesaver to others.

BR,

Imics

Therefore the solution Smiley Wink

Great work Imics, this helps us a lot.

-------
Daniël Schuiling
Solid Edge ST7
Teamcenter 10

Daniel,

Could you post same rendered pictures (PMI version) about your products? Smiley Wink

We'd like to see the result!

BR,

Imics