PMI model view

Why can't we select a PMI view for a part within an assembly when selecting that part from view wizard?  If i select the assembly itself i can select a PMI view but when selecting a component within that assembly I cannot.  I'm using PMI model view to place a face view of a part that wasn't drawn relative to a reference plane. selecting "custom view" simply takes too much time it seems.

I can pick PMI view after selecting component and before placing on drawing sheet select option and pick the view there.  Seem like we should be able to select PMI from any component in view wizard

3 REPLIES

Re: PMI model view

What version of SE are you using?

Kevin Grayson
Solid Edge Technical Consultant
kevin.grayson@siemens.com

I am using ST8.  I have an assembly that contains a part (that contains a PMI Model View).  After placing an assembly view, I go back to the View Wizard and select the part that has a PMI Model View (from the "Select Attachment" window).  There is an option at the bottom "create drawing view independent of assembly" that you can check.  Select OK and then go back into Drawing View Wizard Options to get access to select its PMI Model Views.

I'm not sure if that workflow is the quickest but it gets you what you want.

Hope this helps.

Kevin Grayson
Solid Edge Technical Consultant
kevin.grayson@siemens.com

[ Edited ]

im on ST8

@grayson thats what i'm doing now. It jsut seem odd that i can pick an assembly PMI from the "select attachment" window but not a part within that assembly. I'd assume most of us like that we can pick a PMI view but in a 50 pc assembly I'll only be placing the assembly view once or twice, and for sure each of the 50 pcs once.. I'd just rather click 50-100 less times.---Another option i just checked is making a PMI view in the assembly with only each component show that i need that view of, at least then it's selectable from the "select attaachment " window.