Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pack & Go suggestion..

Phenom
Phenom

With the use of the portal adds to the convenience of sharing pre-production projects, but while you may want your in-house team to see all files, I definitely don't want my customer to see all the "junk" or mockup files that are in the assembly. 

What about adding a simple check box to the list if we want to EXCLUDE files from the pack & go?

I recently spent a couple hours deleting files so I coud share a file using all the native SE files, not that user friendly.

Process was as follows- (1) Pack & go assembly, (2) open that pack & go, (3) delete unwanted objects (from 50 subassemblies), then (4) Pack & go again. Then go back and delete previous pack & go...

While one may say files shouldn't have any "junk" but let me decide on that.

Thoughts??

-Craig
11 REPLIES

Re: Pack & Go suggestion..

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Could you do a save as in Design Manager as the first step and exclude files there? Then maybe pack and go thereafter?

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

@bshand wrote:

Could you do a save as in Design Manager as the first step and exclude files there? Then maybe pack and go thereafter?

Could, Yes, lots of links though, not "simple". But it doesn't seem like that should be needed if i simply want to share a native document.

-Craig

Solution Partner Builder Solution Partner Builder
Solution Partner Builder

Hi @Craig_H! What do you think about simplify assembly and save as simplify?

Phenom
Phenom

@bauler wrote:

Hi @Craig_H! What do you think about simplify assembly and save as simplify?

Original intent was to simply use all existing data as is, nothing new to be created. Honestly easiest if I wanted a work around is export to any data type (.xt) and simply select the box "export displayed only". Entire concept of Pack & GO is to sharing existing native data, I just want the option to export displayed only..

I'mnot looking for a work around, just wondered if anyone else has used it much in the past year and their thouhgts.

-Craig

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Craig_H

I think the Pack&Go tool is intended to help taking date with You or sending it in its completness to a customer or vendor.

So the idea behind it - I assume - is more to guarantee the fully data set rather than a part of it.

What in regard to Pack&Go seems a more wanted enhancement would be the possibility for saving and restoreing back this date to the server drives.

At the moment, if You turn on the "keep directory structure" option, there will be created a very strange path for those packed date.

I would like to see here a "Restore, save back" function to automatically save this date to the right folders on server.

Why: so You can take (check out) data from the server with the full path structure (vendor parts, standard parts, etc.) work on them - let me say over the weekend - and store back it on Monday.

Or send this data set to Your customer, let him rework and modify this date and check in it later again without loosing any structure information

regards
Wolfgang

Solution Partner Builder Solution Partner Builder
Solution Partner Builder

You can save as assembly and choise a folder, delet parts and then use pack and go using that folder.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I like Hawcad's Idea. It's fast to pack and go to take some file home to work for the weekend. but when you want to put it back into the system of an unmanaged environment. That's a bunch of work that could be saved.

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

I like the idea, it could even be based on the configuration choice. The only problem is that it would need to rewrite the ASM file so that the links to the deleted/hidden parts are also removed from it to avoid missing files when opening at client location.

That's problably why it was not done this way.

Another idea could be to have a function to easily generate alternate ASM members from configurations so that you can then save each member as an idependant ASM and use pack & go. This could probably be done by a macro I think.

Legend
Legend

Is it when exporting an assembly there is an option to omit hidden parts?  That might work well for people like myself that suffer from OOSOOM syndrome and export things I shouldn't.  (Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind)

Those who know me question the assigned user rank.