Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Paging file sizes - custom or system managed?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Does anyone know if setting custom paging file sizes as opposed to just allowing Windows to manage them offers any advantage with Win10 and ST10?

PagingFileSize.JPG

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200
12 REPLIES 12

Betreff: Paging file sizes - custom or system managed?

HI @bshand

as an old fashioned dino I have learned, that a fixed page size always will be better than let the operating system decide it dynamically.

But I'm not confident wether or not this will bring any advantage for current computer systems.

Maybe this was a more or less rule for old system with less memory.

Nowadays almost any computer starts with 32GB of RAM and maybe will not run into a paging situation at all.

regards
Wolfgang

@hawcad That's what I was thinking. There's a stone age document here by a previous admin that advocates custom settings. I just want to check before I put it in the museum.

Bruce Shand

Hi @bshand

it could not be wrong to do it just that way.

I believe I have seen this a short time ago at a computers forum too.

Manually set the paging size to the same size as You have real memory in use.

This is what I remember!

And again, I believe almost all computers will have those 32GB free disc space available to set the page size exactly to that.

regards
Wolfgang

Legend
Legend
On my home computer that I do quite a bit of modeling and animation, it has a 1TB SSD primary drive and a 256gb SSD secondary. The secondary drive is split into 32gb pagefile, 16gb hybrid/sleep and the rest is temp/backup save location for rendering. I have 64gb of ram, but windows doesn't always make the best use of ram and will often page out data after a while even if it will be read again in a few minutes.

@nanan00, So do you use custom settings? If so, is there a formula based on a given amount ram that used or something else?

Bruce Shand

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I believe that in very old days, there was advise from the gentleman on this site, quite guru in Solid Edge who left the scene, talking about setting the page file fixed and sized to 3 times value of the installed RAM.

I am setting it that way for the long time, never had the problem, but lately with my best desktop (W7 Ultimate ) I am having some problems with the RAM.

After turning computer off or rebooting it shows only 28 Gig. Did change my motherboard, was removing and swapping the Ram sticks in all slot to see which one of the sticks (or slots) is bad etc. without any help or understanding this reason. Sometime even computer goes to 'unexpected restart' by itself into the blue screen and continues fine till it comes again.

I do little bit too much of the CCleaner cleaning my 2 temp file directories and cleaning the registry with CCleaner as well.

Was thinking that this is the reason, but I do not have a proof.

My busy boot drive is 232 Gig SSD, with about 19.5 Gig page file and 10 Gig free room left and have another 232 Gig SSD with 195 Gig page file.

I actually wonder if it is not too much and part of my problem with not showing the full RAM amount on the reboot.

Probably bit of the discussion topic.

Milan Wendl, MEngSc, P.Eng.
AAA Engineering, Canada
ST10, SolidWorks Premium 2018

If anyone other than myself is interested I found this 3 year old post from @uk_dave who is a trusted expert in my book. I'll give those settings a shot.

4 GB is too small a setting for your system.
Set your min and max file size for Virtual memory to be 2 X RAM installed.

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Forum/Message-He-s-Dead-Jim/td-p/292923

Bruce Shand

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Better yet, there is a  GTAC Solution Center article on this fully explaining not only how to size your paging file but also how to set it:

http://solutions.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/docs/newsletter/SE-Set-Optimum-Page-File-Si...

I don't know who wrote that article but he must be a real fart smeller, I mean smart fella ;-)

P.S. @bshand thanks for the kind words

Legend
Legend
In the old days, win 98/xp the idea was to set the pagefile to 4x your ram. Now days just make it big if you are doing stuff that is eating up pagefile enough to make you think about it, on render boxes like my rig I found no gain after 32gb, it almost never goes that far unless I render animations over 15 minutes in duration which is very rare.