Parametric Box method

Phenom
Phenom

I have attempted to post a few video's about what I call the parametric box method a few time and it never worked right. I hope people can see the attached video's using you tube.

I posting this here because many of my questions are uncommonly restricted because of how I'm working. My goal is to get comments and possible improvements to the process I have set up in 100's of files. There are two linked vids.

The first one shows how I start my modeling process for all my models.

The second one show the most complex results and why I developed the process. My original driving goal was to maintain all the variable work for bend tables to calculate back gage and stick out.

I have to "re-size" my models for every single project.

Where things really get complex is when I need to combine 10 files like that into a higher level assembly.

http://youtu.be/iCwvuYT-g5M

http://youtu.be/zjq5SRZL_yg

2 REPLIES

Re: Parametric Box method

Genius
Genius

Does "Skeleton Modeling" or "Sketch Driven" not work for this?

Re: Parametric Box method

Phenom
Phenom

I desire to be able to change the box size and sheet metal gage for any given situations. Sometimes the box is 14 gage stainless steel on a break machine, sometimes its 10 gage carbon steel on a folding machine.

The point being, by using the include from one part to another, I'm able to automatically handle gage changes as well as the overall box size. I would have to add about 100 more links and variables driving sketches to work that way.

I could move to Sync and use dimensions rather than planes to drive everything. There are a few steps of my process I have yet to work out before I can commit to moving to sync. Many of the corner notches, close corners, etc may not behave the same in sync vs ordered. The largest problem I have yet to solve with Sync is using the methods I am right now, I'm able to drive flat pattern sizes directly from included planes (not clear with what is shown), then the bend locations are driven from includes of other sheet metal (The lids and baffles in specific). Because the tanks are designed to nominal outside dimensions +-1", I'm able to keep the flat pattern sizes of some of the sheet metal parts to even number. This is important because all the parts are manually programmed into a punch machine.