Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parasolid Translation

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I am trying to figure out the best translation from Solid Edge to Solid Works.

I tested a few methods:

Opening SE file direct in SW

Parasolid translation

STEP translation

Out of those Parasolid was the best. -no error, largest file (most detail)

But what I cant figure out, is how to test Parasolid-Binary vs Parasolid-Text, and what is different about each parasolid version, and what is the best version for translation from SE-ST9 to SW-2017

Can any point me to information about parasolid version and how to export X_B vs X_T formats?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Parasolid Translation

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @12GAGE,

I was sure that SW could import SE, in much the same way as SE imports SW files from the UI directly, rather than first exporting them.

Anyway......basic Google search found a clear enough explanation for Parasolid format types. 

This is probably the crux of it.... [via: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasolid ]

"When exported from the parent software package, a Parasolid commonly has the file extension .x_t. Another format is .x_b, which is in binary format so it is more machine independent and not subject to binary-to-text conversion errors. Most Parasolid files can communicate and migrate only 3D solids and/or surface data - Parasolid files currently cannot communicate and migrate 2D data such as lines and arcs."

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP5] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

The only difference between the text and binary file is how the data is encoded within the actual Parasolid file.

The binary format of the file is operating system independent so therefore does not suffer from text conversion errors across platforms (if you ever had to work with text files copied to/from Windows and *nix systems you'd understand this pain).  Also, because it is binary, the overall file size is smaller.

To create a binary file from Solid Edge simply change the file name extension to .x_b in the Save As -> Parasolid dialog.

To create a text file from Solid Edge simply change the file name extension to .x_t in the Save As -> Parasolid dialog.

Create both a text and a binary file from the same Solid Edge model.  Then open both files into a  text editor -- there you will see the difference between the two file formats.

I can hack on a text file but binary is not worth the aggro.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I was told some years ago that Solidworks' parasolid version is always two behind Solid Edge.  So when saving for Solidworks, use version 28 instead of 30.

Has anyone else heard this?

Matt

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@12GAGE  Not sure what SolidWorks does behind the scenes to translate SE files so no comment there, however both systems store the 3D body information as a Parasolid stream so Parasolid essentially is not a translation and is therefore going to be your most releiable method.  As to which version you use should use, that would be the latest version supported by both applications.  Binary (X_B) or Text (X_T) does not matter.

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP5, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@12GAGEWhy not just use the 3Dinterconnect that Works has? In my opinion this is the ideal use of that bada$$ function of works.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Phenom
Phenom

There is actually very little information on 3D Interconnect and also very little talk on the SW forum area as well. To my knowledge it isn't getting much use from the SW users.

Honestly from a technology standpoint I don't think I would call this a bada$$ function. It's very similar to the way that SE and NX can talk to each other. Nothing new just new to the SW users. Or if you are are using Teamcenter you are using JT data in a multi-CAD environment.

There are several videos online that cover this tool. You need to watch them closely. There are things to consider. You need keep track of the original file along with the "new" inserted component. If you delete the original source file you are hosed.

Secondly, if you break the link to the original file, it comes into SW as a dumb solid. You will have to run the feature recognition tool to get features- which I don't believe comes with the base level of SW.