Solved! Go to solution

Part Copy displays differently to Standard Part

[ Edited ]

I am using Solid Edge ST7. I created some *.par files. A colleague modified these in NX, then returned them in *.prt format. When I import them into Solid Edge, they are imported as Part Copies, and display differently compared to normal parts.

For example, here is an imported bracket Part Copy in the same assembly replacing my old bracket. How do I get Solid Edge to display the Part Copy as a normal part (i.e. with dark edges)?

Part Copy displays differently to a created part.Part Copy displays differently to a created part.

16 REPLIES

Re: Part Copy displays differently to Standard Part

Hi there @MechtEngineer,

Hi there....depending on the way you're bringing the .PRT file into Solid Edge, I would expect this to come in as a "Body Feature".....given that it's technically an "Imported" file.

Could be that the file is corrupt, or has other errors [not a solid].....could you upload the PRT file here?...for either myself, or another community member to review.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Thanks @SeanCreswell, I thoroughly appreciate your time and willingness to help. I have attached the *.prt file.

[ Edited ]

@MechtEngineer,

I got a clean solid model in both the "File > Open" & "Insert Part Copy", methods.

Perhaps your new part, or rather "the assembly", doesn't like the collision between the fastener and the block......if the previously threaded holes are dumbed back to just a simple hole, when bringing the part in as an Part Copy.

Not sure if it is only because I'm on ST9, but the File Open method, recognized the threaded holes, even though the features were not present, but feature recogniser would add them back, if needed. Suggest trying this way, if you haven't already, and run the "Optimise" command, to clean up the model edges & faces.

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author MechtEngineer
4 weeks ago

[ Edited ]

I am able to open the NX .prt file in both ST8 and ST9 and it behaves normal.

First thing to do as Solid Edge suggest is to Optimize the geometry.

After this I could use it like a regular imported part in the synchronous mode: recognizing holes, adding dimensions directly between edges/faces, picking a bunch of feautures and modifying them using the applied dimension.

For the dark edges mentioned, it seems only a appearance issue.

I changed the color to Model Default and then also modified the style to have thicker edges.

Hope the part now appears as expected.

See this video:

[EDIT]: First it seemed @SeanCresswell has passed on the baton from NZ to India for this is a 24x7 support group and uses a 'Follow the Sun' model.

He seems to have hit the finish line while I was still drafting my answer; Thanks Sean, I could build up on the hints you provided.

@SeanCresswell,

Perhaps I didn't phrase my question clearly enough. The model imports OK. It is just that the edge lines are drawn in light blue rather than the standard dark colour (see the first image I posted). When I want to take a screenshot of the assembly, the part just looks odd compared to the other parts. I have tried the "Rendered" View Style, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I didn't see this response until after I replied to Sean. I'll try your suggestions. Currently my Solid Edge license is being used by someone else on the network.

Hi @MechtEngineer

can you try to play with the settings in the View Tab

I have downloaded your part and converted to SE.

that's result. ( without changing a view settings )

view.png

Production: SE ST9 MP8

[ Edited ]

@Tushar,

Thanks for the awesome video. I learnt some excellent tips from you and @SeanCresswell. The Part Painter > "Model Default" on "Body" was the solution I was looking for.

Here is the fixed version of my first image:

BracketCorrectDisplay.png

I appreciate the quick responses. What a great community to be a part of! 

@MechtEngineer, glad you got it sorted.

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10