Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Copy to be split into multiple parts

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have a single part which represents the sideboarding for a large and complex shaped package slide system. The sideboarding is too big to be created out of one plate, so I created dovetail cutouts where I need them, within the same part. So now it's a single part with effectively 4 bodies (see attached images. the single line cutout is actually 0.01 mm)

Now I would like to create new parts that contain a part copy of this sideboard, where I can remove all but one of those bodies. This way I should be able to edit the entire shape and position of the cutouts in the parent part, and have the results in 4 different parts. Is this possible? And how?

________[Oo\____/oO]________

The truth is .... I am Dutch

C# - VS Ex 2015 - Solid Edge ST10 MP3 - TC11.4
Key-User, IT-student, no admin rights
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Part Copy to be split into multiple parts

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@JanWillem  Part of the Multi-body workflow is a command called Multi-body Publish.  It will save out each body as a Part Copy linked back to the parent file, and optionally provide the creation of an Assembly reuniting the separate part copies.

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP8, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

In addition to what @KennyG suggests I have a question: You said "effectively" four bodies. So is it actually four bodies in the part? Because if it's not publishing won't do anything for you. But it doesn't look like it would be difficult to make it four bodies.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Hi @JanWillem

as - and thanks it really was a good point by @bshand -  it needs to be multiple parts.

But as I can see it from Your given pictures, I must suppose You only have splitted the surfaces, but not created a Multibody Part.

So therefore the Publishe into Multipart will not be active.

You will ask how I can suppose that?

Since all Your seperate bodies have the same color and if it would be a multibody part then only one would have this color (what is the active body) while the others would be shown in a ghost mode (transparent).

So just keep on that point and YOu will be successful.

regards
Wolfgang

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Solid Edge doesn't recognize the 4 individual parts, and multibody publish is disabled in the part. The part is a created with 4 features: One protrusion for the entire outline, and 3 for the indivual dovetail cuts, each in different angles. Solid Edge still considers it as being one body.

You can use the "Split" command to make it four separate bodies if you want.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Hi @JanWillem

just for clarification what was said by @bshand (thanks)

20181210_1723.png

And You also can see the full colored active body against the ghosted inactive boodies

regards
Wolfgang

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

It worked.

I had issues with splitting. I created the dovetail cutouts all the way, and created surfaces where I needed the split to be. But since the dovetail already cuts out all material, the split caused an error as it wasn't intersection any material. I modified the cutout to only cutout the center piece (not the 0.01 mm sections left and right), and then let the surface cut those.

Thanks!