Part Live Cycle for BuildInDataManagement

[ Edited ]

Hi Edgers,

since BuildINDataMenegement ahs become better with ST9 an old question came up again:

"Is it possible - without any additional tool or macro - to change the status from a released document to BaseLined or Obsolete?"

IMHO this capavility would increase the usage of lifecacle status enormous.

At the moment after a document is released this is it, no chance to make it obsolete

regards
Wolfgang
5 REPLIES

Re: Part Live Cycle for BuildInDataManagement

[ Edited ]

No, that is still not possible.

But, during the Built-in Data Management workshop at the begining of SEU16, this issue was brought up.  Hopefully it is on the Developers' short list of things to enhance.

There was some comments about the ability to do this, since technically a "released" file should not be changed.  But, as I even said aloud during the datamangement workshop, I have a macro built by those guys next door (pointing to the Develepor's Day workshop).  If they can do it, certainly it can built into SE.

So BiDM doesn't provide a life cycle process like Insight?

1. Rev A part in released status

2. User revised it, now rev B part in available status

3. Release rev B part bumps rev A part status to obsolete.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

No, Built-in Data Management doesn't provide the complete Life Cycle like Insight; not yet, anyway.

BiDM only takes you as far as Released.  It does just fine with moving files from In-work/Available to Released, and from Released to In-work/Available when revising, but nothing else in between or after.

[ Edited ]

@swertel, after reading your blog do you have a work around for moving files from Released to Obsolete?

Thanks,

Dale Smith
Mitsubishi Electric Power Products, Inc.
ST9 MP5 - Insight

@DaleSmith I either use Design Manager and copy the files to the archive/obsolete folder.  The copies are "available" so I can set to "obsolete."  Then I use Windows Explorer and delete the released copies.

Otherwise, I use Windows Explorer in combination with the Link Management file.  I use Windows Explorer to copy the files to archive/obsolete (because I have folder level permissions, so you must copy files to inherit the security permissions) and delete the released versions.  I use the Status Changer utility to override the status to obsolete.