Part fitment in assembly

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Mating parts was tricky in SW and it appears to be just as tricky in SE.  I have 2 tubes that are 1.26 inches apart (7 decimal points).  I have a return whose ends are also 1.26 inches apart.  I can assemble the returnb bend with one of the tubes, but when I try to do an axial mate on the second tube, I get an error message.  Just to be sure, I applied a parallel relationship between the tubes, but again I was unable to connect the return bend to the second tube.

I had a smililar issue in SW, but once I matched the distances to 7 decimals, they mated fine.  I can't get SE to do the same.

u1.png

u2.png

14 REPLIES

Betreff: Part fitment in assembly

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

without seeing Your ASM pathfinder and the allready definded relations it becomes hard to say what happens and why the new relation will not work.

Supposing the base part is Your wellknown sheet metal part from the other thread it would be helpfull having the end part too.

Can imagine that there is s difference in the distance (behind the 7 decimals) which prevents SE from solving the task.

regards

Wolfgang 

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom
Hi,

try to use a connect or parallel relation (axis to axis) with a small range for fit tolerance.
Then You will see how exact the parts are and which tolerance You need.

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

I have seen this problem from many users in the past - its (usually) all down to accurate measurement.

Set your measuring readout to 7dp and check the distances.

Make sure that the ends of the tube are also in line otherwise you will not get a true distance between the axes.

Also make sure that the tube axes are parallel, and that the centre distance on the U-bend exactly matches the tube centre distance to 7dp.

A quick calculation shows that based on the dX,dZ readouts shown the distance should be 1.2599448

You can calculate this easily from the pattern spacing of the tubes.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I would use a connect relation between the center point of one tube with a center plane of the other. That will be plenty close enough for practical purposes in this case.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I think the problem is a rounding error.  I thought I changed the resolution to 7 dp.  Isn't this how you set the number of decimal places shown when you select 3D measurements?

l1.png

@beachcomber was right.  For some reason the correct distance is not being displayed in 3D measurements.  I tried it again with 2D and found the correct distance.

l2.png

What do I need to do to be able to measure 3D distances beyond 2 decimal points?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Set the precision in file units.

Bruce Shand

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

May it be possible to model the return in context of the assembly (then break the links if you like, I generally would) and be left with the exact spacing needed.

Bruce Shand

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I recreated my bend to match the exact dimension.

r1.png

I saved and closed the file.  I opened my assembly and inserted the same part.  I don't have many files and nothing with a similar name so I'm sure it's the right part.

r2.png

I tried to assemble and got an error message again.  The distance between the pipes was the same, but the return bend had changed dimensions.  I set the measure tool to 7dp and center points only.

r4.png

Why is the part changing when I insert it into the assembly?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Can't answer that one. Why don't you post the return part? Maybe others can find something.

Bruce Shand