Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Part numbering how is it working?

Legend
Legend

Sounds like it. I asked the same type of question a year ago when I first started using the program.

Legend
Legend

I guess you could make a display configuration for each part of your assembly but this doesn't seem all that useful if you have more than a few parts. As for occurence properties the only time I have turned things off is when SE couldn't handle weld profiles and I had to model them but didn't want them to show in my BOM.

Right, just wish there was a way to link the BOM to the assembly but only show the callouts for the parts that are actually shown in the drawing. It would make many of the required drawings I have to make a ton faster and less manual.

Legend
Legend
I guess you could make a display configuration for each part of your assembly but this doesn't seem all that useful if you have more than a few parts. As for occurrence properties the only time I have turned things off is when SE couldn't handle weld profiles and I had to model them but didn't want them to show in my BOM.

Right, just wish there was a way to link the BOM to the assembly but only show the callouts for the parts that are actually shown in the drawing. It would make many of the required drawings I have to make a ton faster and less manual.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

You misunderstood.

You don't need to make an assy configuration for each part in order to isolate it. You only need to pick the part from the assy tree in the view wizard. Only that part will display in the view but remain linked to the BOM. (Depending on what SE version you are using)

Using an assembly configuration is only needed to not automatically display a new part in your drawing views if that is your goal.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Legend
Legend

Still not sure I got you on that first point. I am on ST7 MP11.

Mind showing a picture or two of that step of picking a single part from assy tree on item insert for a draft file?

I see the ability to pick specific objects on the second item inserted but not the first. When I pick a single object out of the assembly it defaults to item number 1.

I will have to see about the config thing later.

I don't remember when this capability was added. ST7 I thought but maybe not until ST8.

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)

Bruce Shand

Legend
Legend

Ah, that is how it works in ST7 also, it requires you first pulling in the full master assembly then you can make another view of a specific part. The problem is you end up with massive draft files that get very lagy and take a long time to update. My projects tend to have anywhere from 50 to 700 parts, many of which have their own detail drawing or have a few like items detailed out on a sheet, it is just annoying to have to go back and type that stuff in on 30 some drawings.

I guess you'd have to request an enhancement if you want parts lists able to be linked across more than one draft file.

But I'm not clear why that's needed if the parts have their own drafts and part numbers which are referenced in a parts list on the assembly drawing.

Bruce Shand

Legend
Legend

Not all parts are made in house and not everyone sees the overall major assembly drawings or bom. more often then not a machinest/welder etc. never sees anything but the drawing for that one part of the job.

All parts are stamped or engraved with part numbers indicated on the drawing which is used to figure out what goes where at some stage of fabrication or assembly.

Yeah, and that's the way it usually works. The fabricator only needs to see the part or parts being made, not the assembly. The only one needing the assembly drawing are those who assemble. So I'm still not sure what your difficulty is.

Bruce Shand