Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Part numbering how is it working?

Phenom
Phenom

@bshand wrote:

You misunderstood.

You don't need to make an assy configuration for each part in order to isolate it. You only need to pick the part from the assy tree in the view wizard. Only that part will display in the view but remain linked to the BOM. (Depending on what SE version you are using)

Using an assembly configuration is only needed to not automatically display a new part in your drawing views if that is your goal.

@bshand - you also have this setting on the drawing view properties, although I've never used it.

Show new components.JPG

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
SE2019 MP5 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@beachcomber,  Funny thing, I tried it and it doesn't work. Anything I add still shows. Seems buggy to me.

Edit: Just filed an IR

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Update: (for those still paying attention)

As to toggling "show new components added to assemblies in drawing views" it only works when there is no configuration selected for the view or match is turned off. Which sort of makes sense but it means you can only do configs or not. There is no caveat in the menu or help to this effect. It would be nice if you could assign this toggle in configurations. I remember SE's cousin SW had that feature.

Bruce Shand

Phenom
Phenom

@bshand - still paying attention (but lagging behind a little)

As you say, it makes sense that the option doesn't apply in configs, otherwise it would be over-riding the config. I usually try to avoid using any assembly configuration in drawing views (not always possible) because of new parts being added and having to constantly re-save them. I also find them difficult to manage/update if working on someone else's drawing - its sometimes impossible to know what they wanted to show or hide.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
SE2019 MP5 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

@beachcomber, Yeah, and that's why I think it would be nice to have the switch inside configs. Anyway, there's no panacea that I know of for the problem of inherited models and drafts and knowing what the previous user intended, configs or not, occurence properties, display properties, etc.

Bruce Shand