Part to include text stating which assemblies it is a part of

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hey guys.  I am making a template and I want the part file to state which assemblies it belongs to.  Probably just the names of the files without the extensions.

Thanks.

7 REPLIES

Re: Part to include text stating which assemblies it is a part of

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there,

You can't do it in "Part" perse, but you can do this type of query using the Revision Manager - with the "Where Used" function, to list the files it is used in.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Genius
Genius

I'm pretty sure this isn't possible, since a part can be in multiple assemblies.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Interesting.

I don't believe there is any kind of "Where used" functionality in the model files. I'm just starting to figure out how to use that in revision manager. I wonder how the revision manager figures that out?

Parts can be used as many times as you like. I have a few parts that are used in 100's of files.

Phenom
Phenom
The Where Used function is available in part and assembly -
Application Icon > Manage > Where Used.
In an assembly you can RMB on a part then Manage > Where Used.
Unfortunately it is not available as a 'property'.
HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Pioneer
Pioneer

As far as I can tell, all this "where used" stuff does is find the original file.  Since I don't have a part file in each project folder, I don't see a connection to any assemblies.  Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

Genius
Genius

When you do a "Where Used" on a part, select a broader folder....that assembly has to be in that folder or any of its subfolders. If you need to then select the drive that contains all of the assemblies.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Ugh.  Simple as that eh?  I had selected the folder I wanted, but when I clicked "add" then it took the folder within that folder that was highlighted only.  Thanks!