Part use information through PMI or some other method...

Creator
Creator

So lets say you have two PEM nuts, one for 18 to 12 gauge, and the other for 11-10 gauge. This is pretty common among this type of fastener as when material thickness increases past a certian thickness, a different PEM shank length is required to ensure it bites into the material.

We recently had a mixup on a special order where a designer did not spec the correct PEM in his assembly, causing production to install the incorrect one for the thicker material. 

Is there a way to show a note or annotation at the assmebly level when someone adds these parts to it?

We can add a PMI callout to the part, which can be displayed by using the "show/hide component" options, but the designer would have to do this manually when they bring the part in. This defeats the purpose of the callout, we want it to be visable when the part is brought into the assembly by default, notifying the designer what the intended use should be.

Is there a way to force PMI annotations to be displayed automatically when a part is brought into an assembly? is there some other way to notify a designer about part features when they first bring it in? If such a function exists, I can think of a million uses to alert users to some key desing feature for a given part.

Thanks!

"Perhaps I can find new ways to motivate them."
~Darth Vader
6 REPLIES

Re: Part use information through PMI or some other method...

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Kind of hoaky but it works... If you make your PEM inserts an Adjustable Part, you can specify a dummy variable and add a note that when placed will display like the following.  Just hit OK and go on and it places like normal, just remember to leave setting "Adjust to fit and allow assembly relationships".

2016-07-07_10-32-14.png

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Creator
Creator

Perfect! I will give this a shot!

Hoaky or not, if it saves some time and errors from getting to production, thats all that matters!

Cheers!

~Darth Vader

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Shouldn't the two different nuts each have it's own file and part number?

That stated, I have many similar issues with re-used models and re-used pieces of sheet metal. I have a list of about 10 different improvements for variable flow within SE and don't have the time to champion them. I'm still trying to get about 30 sheet metal enhancements documented that don't have work arounds or if a work around is possible, is very time consuming.

Phenom
Phenom

Ingenuity at it's best !!

Creator
Creator

Sometimes people need physical triggers to get them to notice something is up. Both of the models look identical, and the designer has to scan through an item master log or PEM catalogue to fully appreciate what the part is for. With a quick window like this popping up to let them know right away, they can save a lot of time looking for information, and focus on the work!

~Darth Vader

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

It's a nice workaround but I would agree that it would be nice to have a tool explicitly for this purpose.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200