Solved! Go to solution

Parting Line Draft

Need some help putting on Draft where the parting line lies on this part.
5 REPLIES

Re: Parting Line Draft

You mean around the inside, on the stepped PL, right?

Have you tried the Step Draft option? There are a couple of areas where I think you'll need some additional splits. Coloring the faces can help you visualize which faces will go on which side of the tool, and help with splits and draft. Also, your tooling guy will probably need to answer some questions about how he wants the splits, with the sliver steps with clean faces, or split faces with clean PL.

Maybe you could be more explicit about where you're getting hung up, there are a lot of options here.

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

I have attempted the Draft from the Parting Line using the Step draft, Perpendicular to step faces, and got an error messages "Internal Error": Unable to recomputed topology information". I am not sure when I pick the Draft Faces, it seems to pick a larger area than I want. This isn't something I do allot of, so I'm struggling where to either add split faces or make the surface extrusion differently to intersect the part? My Draft plane is in green and the draft surfaces are those in blue. Appreciate any further help. Thanks!

In Blue is what I'm attempting to put a 1/2 degree draft on using the green surface as my draft plane and parting line to apply draft angle coming out of the top of the part
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author MJL
‎09-23-2015 02:55 PM

I created a generic example to show how step draft and split draft are supposed to work on the community blog. https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Blog/Step-Draft/ba-p/311516

You might find that the Split Face is not the right tool for this job. You can use projected curves instead.

From your examples, you didn't seem to have tried that option.

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

Thank you for taking the time to create the Parting Line Draft blog. It helps me understand a little more about what's going on. Appreciate it.