Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parts in place or subassemblies???

N/A

Hello

I have a question.

What takes more of Solid Edge's and my copmuter's resources: if I have an assembly with lots of parts in place or if I have the same amount of parts, but they are divided into subassemblies?

Im asking this, because I have a large assembly and Solid Edge keeps crashing all the time when I want to add new relationships to parts.
It just gives me a crash report and says that Soild Edge has encountered a problem and needs to close. And I cannot add any new parts that I want to relate to the others.

So I was thinking that if I take all the parts in place and make them into smaller assemblies and then build the big assembly back up again, it should work better. Or not?

Looking forward to your replies

8 REPLIES

Re: Parts in place or subassemblies???

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor
My guess is creating additional subassys will consume additional resources as you will still have all your original parts in memory plus the additional load of the new subassys.
How may parts are you talking about and what OS are you using, is it 32 or 64 bit, how much RAM is installed, what graphics processor are you using?

Ken

Production: ST10 MP6
Testing: SE 2019

N/A
My assembly has around 1300 parts with 400 unique ones and about 50 unique assemblies, total document size is 144 MB.
Im using Windows 7 64 bit OS, with 3 GB of RAM, graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6470M.
Maybe the point why it crashes could be because I have too many inter part links?

Could be your graphics card. Something to try to se if it is or not is to go into Solid Edge Options while a part or assembly is open and on the View section under Application Display, uncheck the automatic selection (if checked) and set the combobox to Backing Store. See if the problem persists or is now solved...

Ken

Production: ST10 MP6
Testing: SE 2019

Ram is probably on the light side too...OS is using most of that....also look into simplified parts/assemblies to lighten the load.

Sean Cresswell
Streetscape Limited (NZ)
-
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy NoteII using Tapatalk 2.
-
Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP7] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

N/A
I changed the Application Display to Backing Store, this just made the graphics lower and SE more slower, but the problem remained, when I added a new part, it let me to apply one relationship and with the next one it said that SE has encountered a problem and needs to shut down. So I changed the Application Display back to Graphics card driven (Direct3D), which seems to work best.
I have actually most of the subassemblies simplified like bearings and such, but what I have a lot of are inter part links. Do these links consume a lot of memory/resources?

Phenom
Phenom
Have you looked at memory usage through the task manager before/after you open one of these assemblies? Like Sean said, you might be bumping into your memory limit with 3GB RAM. Another thing...you said in this current assembly, you cannot add new parts/relationships. What if you delete parts first to make the assembly smaller? Can you then add in more parts and apply relationships? Is it only with a specific part? Does this part have inter-part links?
-Dylan Gondyke

N/A
The memory usage is around 1.7...2 GB when I work with the assembly. I can add new parts and relationships when I delete parts or subassemblies, what I did to be able to work was to delete inter part links between the parts. The problem is not with a specific part, its with all new parts.
A problem that I have been dealing with recently is that I applied a wrong relationship (this means that the part was already fixed and I tried to apply another fixed relationship) and SE crashed giving me the crash report and closing SE.
The weird thing is that from that moment on I cannot add ANY new relationships, SE just keeps crashing. I didnt save the files when the crash report was prompted, because it said that this may corrupt the files.

Phenom
Phenom
I have had situations before in which I would get assembly crashes and other issues, and the solution was to rebuild the assembly in a new file. If this is the only assembly that you run into problems with, that is another clue that something is wrong with the file.
-Dylan Gondyke