Parts list balloon and an added balloon size is different

Creator
Creator

Hello, im using ST6

The problem is, that the balloons that automatically appear when I create the parts list are one size and when I create individual new balloons with the balloon command, they are smaller. I would like to make them the same size in my draft template file.

I cant find from View -> Styles where to change the balloon settings, for dimension and text etc. yes, but not for balloon. (maybe I'm looking in the wrong place...)

Thanks in advance.

20 REPLIES

Re: Parts list balloon and an added balloon size is different

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Try this: start the parts list command, click a view but don't place the parts list, select the parts list properties button, go to the balloon tab, change the balloon height, go to the general tab, hit save.

Edit: I neglected the possibility that your parts list style is fine but your template default is not (which is actually what you implied). Open your draft template file. I think you need to add a view of a part or assembly. Hit the balloon command, change the height before you place it. Place it. Then you can delete everything you just added and save the template. New balloons from then on should match the height you just spec'd.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

I know that situation, had the same a couple of years ago.

Solved as following:

You define the style and the size of Your BOM balloons within the option sets of the saved BOMs

And now You have to create an extra style within Your template for ballons.

I called mine ISO_balloon since using the ISO style for dimensions.

And the text font and size (5mm Arial) as well as the ballon size (2 times) is defined here.

Whenever creating a balloon manually I'm using that style and You can define the autostyle for them so that this is done automatically by SE

regards
Wolfgang

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

And now You have to create an extra style within Your template for ballons.

What do you mean by that?

Bruce Shand

Phenom
Phenom

OK,

I will try to explain and let's do with pictures.

Pic. 1 this are my settings within the used BOM

e.g. text size 5mm 

20160920_1615.PNGThis are the settings within the according style called ISO_balloon

The only difference here to the standard ISO style might be text size set to 5mm

20160920_1617.PNG

Within the general options I define the auto style to use ISO_balloon for ballons

20160920_1616.PNGnd then creating a ballon SE automatically uses that setting for the new balloon which then also is identically to the BOM ballon

20160920_1618.PNGAnother  - may be dirty - way to create identical balloons is, to copy one of the BOM balloons to empty space and then connect it to the part You want to ballooning.

regards
Wolfgang

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@hawcad, I'm somewhat confused by the Deutsch but I'm not sure why you really need a special dimension style to apply to balloons if the current settings are fine except for size. Once you set size on an initial insert that becomes the default.

Bruce Shand

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

it isn't so that You must have the dim style for the balloons, but for me it makes it easier.

I never ever have to think about what should the balloon style be  or look like, it still is as it should be or as I expected it to be.

That's all

regards
Wolfgang

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

OK. Good input which I may use some day. Except that it's not really a balloon style, it's just setting text attributes. A real balloon style would include things like balloon shape, whether it includes the item quantity, property text, etc., which is what the balloon tab in parts list properties helps accomplish. I understand ST9 includes discrete balloon styles which would be most welcome.

Bruce Shand

I have this same isue in ST8.  WHen I automatically ballon when a parts list is placed, my balloons are different size when using the balloon command.

Owner: Scott Lester Drafting & Design
Designer: Rotork Instuments

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The solution is the same.

Bruce Shand