Path constraint in assembly - some questions and suggestions

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

So I'm working on a little lock mechanism that has a rotating actuator lever with slots to prevent jamming etc.  I solenoid pulls the lever (silver part) which rotates and pulls a lock tab (orange part).  I created the slots in the lever with the slot tool so I can use it to constrain the parts and have them move properly.

1.  The lever to lock tab constraint is pretty simple since the lever drives the lock tab.

2.  The lever to solenoid constraint is an issue because I have a mate constraint on the solenoid pluger to its body that I vary from 0-.375".  It appears that I can't use the path constraint here because the path constraint wants to use the lever as the controlling part.  What I really want is to move the plunger, have it drive the lever which then drives the lock tab.

3.  One way I think I can get around this is to either:

Add another plunger that has no mate and is driven by the lever

Supress the mate on the original plunger

Neither solution emulates the actual mechanism and would require me to eyeball the solenoid extension.

One suggestion for the path constraint is to not require the mating features to be on the same plane - they need to be parallel, but not touching.  For instance, the lever and lock tab will probably have some type of plastic washer between them to avoid rubbing/galling.  Right now, I have to create an offset parallel plane and sketch a circle on the lock tab so it is in the same plane as the path line for the slot feature.  That's a good bit of extra effort and any change to spacings can cause the constraint to fail.  Am I missing something?

P.S. This is still a very rough design so the lever has thin edges and a funny shape until I clean it up.

Lock.JPG

Lock with highlighted lever.JPG

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1
6 REPLIES

Re: Path constraint in assembly - some questions and suggestions

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I just did a simplified assembly corresponding to yours. I have 2 path relations with the triangle and pins are constrained axially with the blocks. It works well. Its my first post. I did a video. How can i attach it ??

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I can't attach my assembly nor my video to the reply Smiley Sad

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Hi Alex,

Welcome to the group!

I think I figured some of my issues.  I just tried a few things using the cylindrical surfaces of the holes as followers and they seem to work.  I also went back to my floating plunger and changed the mate from floating fixed and it didn't break any constraints.  I think my issues were operator error.  Smiley Happy

I typically use Jing to attach videos but others use the Youtube functions.  I don't use the Youtube function because of patent issues with our products.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I did some images. Sry my video was better Smiley Happy this is crappy lol. 

Phenom
Phenom

@AlexBergeron You joined the forum just a couple of hours ago and in your first post tried to answer a question; you went all way to create an assembly, made a video of it and then tried posting out here - Remarkable !!!

Here are simple steps to insert a video in a reply:

1. On the toolbar just above the area where you type comments, click the Insert a video icon: iv1.png

2. In the widget that appears, click Browse and pick a video that you have perhaps saved on your computer:

iv3.png

3. A wide range of formats are supported:

iv2.png

4. Alternatively, if the video is available online, for e.g. a YouTube videos that Solid Edge create, take the From the Web tab and paste the URL:

iv4.png

Was there any other problem faced in attaching or inserting the video ?

Tushar Suradkar

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Ty There is the video

(view in My Videos)