Path of least resistance? Re-naming parts location

Phenom
Phenom

I need to rename some of my part's directories. 100's of projects point to the part locations.

What is the path of lease resistance to get this done.

note: All files on single local computer. Unmanaged environment.

There are about 200 parts each with:

It's own sub-directory, sheet metal file, drawing, and single part assembly that are used in 100's of projects. Many also include references/include to other parts.

If I just use Windows to rename the directory, All of my projects will lost connections to the parts. Suggestions?

8 REPLIES

Re: Path of least resistance? Re-naming parts location

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

There is a utility under Tools in Veiw&Markup/RevisionManager called "Redefine Links" that repairs paths.  You will have to read the Help on it as I have not used it for some time, but I beleive you give it the old path and the replacement path and then a directory of files to run on.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Phenom
Phenom

I would need to run that for every assembly/draft that uses the parts? If that is the case, I hope I can set up 1000 files at a time to be run.

Thanks for the help Grundey, I will give that a good look.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

This does you no good, @12GAGE, but this would be much easier in a managed environment. But are you saying each part has its own subdirectory? Or each assembly or project has its own subdirectory?

And "single part assembly"? Is that because you add assembly features to the part within the assembly?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

It's pretty simple to use but you would need to run this for each subfolder renamed....

1. Specify the path to the files to fix the links in.  This would be the root folder containing all the files that may have been affected by links being in folders that were renamed.
  2. Specify the old path.  This would be the path up to and including the subfolder before it was renamed.
  3. Specify the new path.  This would be the path up to and including the subfolder after it was renamed.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

A potential work around...?
1. Make a new assembly (or drawing) temporarily.
2. Drop every part and assembly from a single folder that needs to be renamed into it at once and save the file.
3. Open this temporary assembly in revision manager and rename the path to the new path/folder for all the parts within this folder.
You would need to be careful with the assembles you dropped in so you don't move the parts within those assemblies if you do not want to.
4. Do a 'where used' to update all files referencing the moved files.
5. Perform actions, close your eyes, and pray.

The drawings could just be moved manually through windows explorer afterward. 

Revision Manager needs a way to move all files within a folder and even sub-folders that allows you to either maintain the structure and just rename/move or even flatten the structure to a folder with the ability to do a where used on all the files within said folders and sub-folders.

Brian Fritz
Solid Edge Certified Professional
ST10 latest MP

Phenom
Phenom

You can do this in one action.

I needed to change the overall server name 3 times yet, just a few seconds work for you and some minutes work for the server trouht Revision Manager:

Redefine links

Select the root folder

Old location -> new location

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST10 & AutoCAD 2018.1 user

Phenom
Phenom

"You can do this in one action."

What action would that be? How do I move 1000 unrelated files and update the 1000's of files realted to the 1000 files at once shot?

Note: All the files are on a single drive, just need to re-organize directory structure.

In responce to BShand's question: Each sheet metal part has it's own dirctory. Each directory contain a psm, dft, and assembly. The part file contains flat patterns for drafting. The asembly file contains the finished part's number and removes referance to the CutX and CutY. If I insert the psm file into the next assembly, the CutX, and CutY show up (I dont want that because the user would cut more steel rather than get part off the shelf). And the assembly contains the part number of the finished part that is not in the PSM file. If the finished part number was in the PSM file, then the drawing user would go look for the part on the shelf when they need to cut the part.

With only a single slot for part name and number, this is how I control part numbers. In general, part drawing referance the raw material used. The assembly referances the finished part.

By doing things this way, I only need a single parts list for everything. If I go to multiple parts lists, things get very complicated when I have every posible case in a single drawing.

Cases:

Sheet metal to be cut from drawing.

Sheet meatl part from stock, premade and powerder coated.

Sheet metal part or sub assembly from stock, ready for welding.

Fame part from raw materail.

Finished welded frame part for welding.

poweder coated frame part for assembly

Typical part (non fame for sheet), to be cut from drawing

Typical part (non fame for sheet), to be drawn from stock

Typical part (non fame for sheet), coated, ready for assembly

There is no way I want multiple types of parts lists. With the one extra step of part to asembly, every works out easily. Also sometimes I don't have time to make an indevidual part file that's one off for a job. so the part is made as part of a job and detailed in the draft for the job. Later that part can be drafted on it's own, then have the assenbly added to the job's assembly.

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Hello,

There is a better method I think:

Use SE options/File location to map the file linkmgmt.txt (originally in preferences folder).

Edit that file to add your root folder between the line BEGIN SEARCH PATH and END SEARCH PATH (there can be several root folders if necessry but no need to list every subfolders).

SE will run an automatic search into those folders when there are missing files. You can then save your projects to fix them as you open them. When everything is fixed, I would remove those path to prevent performance loss (opening time).

If you want to fix everything in a batch. Use the Open_save macro (custom folder) to open and save you assembly projects.

Hope this helps.