Path problem when copying an assembly off the server onto another computer

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

I decided to copy an assembly model off of the server onto my Surface so I could test out its performance off line at home.

1.   I used Revision Manager to copy the assembly onto my workstation local C drive and set the path as the local C drive. 

2.  Revision Manager alerted me to several linked files so I selected the "copy all linked documents" to keep the file on the server unaffected. 

3.  I then copied the files onto a USB flash drive and then took it to my Surface. 

Once I got the copy onto the Surface, I tried opening the file and got a huge amount of files SE couldn't load.  I checked the assembly in Revision Manager on the Surface and all of the paths still reference the server. 

What's going on?  I went back and checked my steps using Revision Manager making sure the new path was set to the desired location.  I ran Revision Manager on the Flash Drive while it was hooked up to the Surface and the path shows up correctly (D:\...).

I copied the files straight from the flash drive straight to the hard drive but how could that cause the files to go back to a path that was set two operations previous?  

Trying to use Revision Manager to copy the files from the flash drive to the Surface local drive doesn't seem to work becuase I can't set the path to the local drive on the Surface - the option is not selectable.

I've copied files like this before without problems.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1
26 REPLIES

Re: Path problem when copying an assembly off the server onto another computer

PLM World Member Phenom

Any thoughts?

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Not sure why your method isn't working but here's what I did in what sounds like a similar circumstance.
A while ago when I was working in a non-managed environment and occasionaly worked from home I used a program called xtree. Now it's called ztree. With it you could tag and then copy all required parts and it would copy them to a memory device with the exact same path structure as on the server. Which is something Windows Explorer can't do and is difficult with RevMan. When I went back to the office I could tag all changed parts on the memory media and copy/overwrite them automagically to their proper locations on the server.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

PLM World Member Phenom

It's strange that the problem arose after I copied all of the files using Rev Manager.  The other strange thing is that when trying to open the assembly on my Surface, the failure to load files message was still showing the server path.  When I checked the assembly on the flash drive, it showed the correct path (D:\).

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I agree, that's weird.

Bruce Shand

PLM World Member Phenom

Well, I found one source of the problem.  When I originally tried to copy the assembly, I used the expand all and select all tools to pick all of the parts and subassemblies in the main assembly to copy.  That should work, but since I have a lot of screws and PEM hardware in the various subassemblies that are duplicates, Rev Manager won't copy them and puts up a warning message about overwriting existing files.  Unless I want to drill down through a bunch of subassemblies and pick and choose which files to copy, that won't work.  The reason I got the file not loading error yesterday is because I did not use the expand all tool and SE didnt copy the parts within the subassemblies.  So I'm in a catch 22 - I can't pick all of the items because of duplicate parts and I can't avoid picking all of the parts because they end up missing at the destination file.

What's the solution.  I've been using Rev Manager for 14 years and have not run into this issue before and I've copied lots of assemblies in the past without a problem.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Are you duplicating the current paths in the copy? If so, seems like that should work.

Maybe if you selectively or deselectively copy types of parts by name or paths in multiple steps?

Bruce Shand

PLM World Member Phenom

I'm basically just trying to copy an assembly and all of it's sub parts to a flash drive to get it onto my Surface.  As far as duplicating paths, they're all going to a folder on the flash drive.  It shouldn't be this difficult and I shouldn't have to sift through around 75-80 subassemblies to find duplicate items such as screws and PEM hardware and deselect them.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I think my point is that if the paths are duplicated you shouldn't get overwrite warnings and it should work. The way it is now, I gather, is that many of the same parts which currently are in different folders are trying to be copied to one folder so you get warnings about existing file overwrites. But I'm not totally clear on what you are doing so I could be way off.

Bruce Shand

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

As to "sift through around 75-80 subassemblies to find duplicate items such as screws and PEM hardware and deselect them."

It seems to me that selecting or deselecting with wildcards would simplify that process. 

But the links in the files that use those parts will be broken because they're not being repointed to. That's why they still look to the server location. You need to reset the links to all those files to one location first or do it after.

Bruce Shand