Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pattern Reference Planes?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Is there an easy way to pattern reference planes in Solid Edge? The pattern command will not let me select reference planes. This would be really handy for lofts, particularly if I need to change the distance between all planes in the pattern.

pattern_planes.png

David McMahon
Solid Edge ST10, MP5
HP Z2 Mini, Windows 10
4 REPLIES

Re: Pattern Reference Planes?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I think you could accomplish that with the variable table. Assign a value to all the plane offset dims.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@12GAGEuses sketches to drive plane positions, works very well.

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Forum/Sheet-Metal-Drafting-Templates/m-p/...

Solid Edge ST10 MP8 - Windows 10 - K2000

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I use planes to drive sketches all the time. 

It's rare for me to use a plane driven from a sketch, but it can be done. I see that as kind of risky. Sketches can go bad, Planes don't go bad unless driven from other geometry(sketches & Parts) that does go bad.

I don't see how planes can be added more than one at a time.

However, I don't see any reason  why you could not have a sketch pattern and attached a bunch of planes to it. But it would be no different than adding sketch elements and planes one by one other than the speed of sketch creation.

Phenom
Phenom

Not really, but if you are inside of a part and not an assembly, one thing you can do is pattern an extruded surface. You can use those just like you do with reference planes, only with the added benefit of being able to choose the orientation you want to look at when placing the sketch.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"