Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Pattern a curved extruded part

Genius
Genius

Hi @MichaelVoelz Extend the line, and in the parameters set the number of patterns you need and its spacing, (this needs time), I do not know what your purpose, but another option is to switch the design so that it is generated as a body on the surface, the only thing is that each pattern will remain represented as an independent body.

Thanks.

Spindel50x10(1).jpgSpindel50x10(2).jpg

Pioneer
Pioneer

@KanwulfMy purpose is to subtract the curved shapes from another body (Deflector). If I only subtract one curved shape I get an undercut in the Deflector, which can not be produced by milling (pic). This is why I try to pattern the curved shape vertically to get space for the milling cutter to process the curve.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @MichaelVoelz

this sounds as a very long wished enhancement for a "Solid Sweep" but not with an rotating tool body, as it is in the moment.

I already have a name for such a feature -  "Solid Erosion"

This is something I also would like to see witihn Solid Edge

regards
Wolfgang

Genius
Genius

Hi @MichaelVoelz Work with surfaces to be able to do what you want, check the video, you already get the space that the "Deflector" needs to be able to perform the machining, unfortunately for "Solid Swwep" there is an autointersection that emits an error, it would be a quick solution but not it is, I hope it is of your help.

Thanks.

Regards.

Pioneer
Pioneer

@KanwulfThis is amazing what you can do with surfaces in Solid Edge. Didnt know that so far. Thanks for showing me this.

I got an result where solid sweep works. I got the result I want by not selecting the whole 3D line (picture). As you said, an error occures by selecting the 3D line as a chain. It just says "process failed". Does someone knows why Solid Edge can not Sweep along the complete line?!  (part in attachment)

Genius
Genius

Hi @MichaelVoelz Smiley Surprised It works very well, when I did the test do not design the "Deflector" and many times the last paramatero "Block of address" is that it defines the operation, but with the complete 3D curve works well, check the following forum entry depending on the geometry "Solid Sweep" generates error.

Thanks.

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Forum/Solid-sweep-cutout/m-p/427403#M3317...

(view in My Videos)

Regards.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @MichaelVoelz

Hi @Kanwulf

but please take in care, that with Solid Sweep function the tool itself always rotates about its axis.

So it more or less is a milling tool with a certain cross section, cuttin out (or add volume) materail on its way through the boody.

As far as I have understood, and equal to what I requested, was the posiibility to translate (move) a body through another without rotating it about any axis.

So not milling but sink erosion is the goal, isn't it?

regards
Wolfgang

Pioneer
Pioneer

@hawcadThanks for the reply. In this case the body will be produced by milling. So Solid Sweep makes sense, if it would work how it should be..

I´m not at a level of cad professionality at the moment to answer the question if an erosion sweep is useful.

Genius
Genius

Hi @hawcad The idea is not bad, it would be very useful to obtain a tool to carry out that process, instead of a Solid Sweep for revolution, a Solid Sweep for parallel movement (Erosion), thus avoiding surface work. Smiley Happy

Thnaks.

Regards.