Pattern problems

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

ScreenHunter 04.jpg

I have a basic link that I want to pattern in assembly. The link part has been simplified, but still only does a quarter of what it should. GTAC have shown a video of it working, but not for me (on 2 different computers). I have attached the link, can someone else tell me if they get the same?

The pattern is 13mm offset in X, 19.18mm in Y with a width and depth of 2800.

11 REPLIES

Re: Pattern problems

Phenom
Phenom

Unless I have misunderstood your pattern dimensions there is no way I would pattern that many instances.

You will probably kill any workstation with display updates.

You have a pattern of 215x146 = 31390 parts.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Betreff: Pattern problems

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @Alan

I thought I have had answered already but as it seems, there was a phone call between so I forget to send it finally.

Sorry for that.

But I tried it immediatelly after Your post and I also "killed" my workstation.

Ok, it is an older one but normally I can use it without any problems.

As mentioned by @beachcomber, there is one big question:

"Does it make sense to create such a pattern?"

I believe "No", it will not.

A fast calculation brings over 31k instances for that pattern.

I think this is also something what You never would do or have done when creating this drawing manually.

Try to use a texture for illustration purpose, or do a minor patterning in the corners to show them.

The question, I would to ask You when beginning with that post is:
"What are Your intends to have all instances patterned?"

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @Alan

and what You also can try is, to first create a small part of this plate let me say 1/16 of it.

And after creating the 1/16 plate with the cutouts (patterned) in it, You can use the body mirror to mirror this 1/16 once to the side and both up about the height.

This brings You a 4x4 piece of Your plate which actually will be 1/4 of the complete one.

Another body mirror about side and heigth will fullfill the complete 16x16 base plate and a total number of cutouts as You need them.

I think a body mirror will be much more performant than a 215x147 times pattern

regards
Wolfgang

Solution Partner Genius

This is a basic prismatic part. It shouldn't be that hard when I hear of companies who have assemblies of over 500,000!

I can create a pattern of the same size in draft of a circle and it generates in under 2 minutes. Try the same thing with a circle and a line and it takes over half an hour. It shouldn't be that hard! There has to be something wrong with the pattern command.

GTAC have come back and blamed it on my non-standard graphics card. I reply and say that the customer has a certified Quadro and then they say that it is non-standard harware. This just seems like a cop out.

Solution Partner Genius

HI Wolfgang

I appreciate the help, but am not sure if this is going to work. The link is used to make a chain link curtain. Some of the links will be coloured different to display a picture/logo. I have written a macro that will "read" the colour of each link to export to help with the making. If the curtain is made up of multiple patterns, then this becomes much more complecated. A subset or texture will not achieve the desired result.

I have just done a test. I created a pattern of one column - works fine. If I then pattern that across, it fails to complete the pattern, just like the single pattern.

I have done 15 columns of links and then patterned the pattern 5 times and that works fine - this gives 45 columns in total, which is more than the original single pattern. Surely this proves that there is something wrong with the pattern feature?

Phenom
Phenom

@Alan

OK we can now see your requirement for the pattern (it would have helped if you put that information in your original post Smiley Wink).

The graphics card could make a difference - what are you using ? 

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000

Solution Partner Genius

Customer is using a Nvidia Quadro M2000 4GB. I am using a Nvidea GeForce GTX 1060

Phenom
Phenom

I would recommend getting a certified graphics card, or can you try it on a computer that has one ?

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000

Creator
Creator

Patterns seem to be a problem across the board for CAD software, at least SE competitors like Inventor and SolidWorks. 

Here's a discussion with some interesting findings from the SolidWorks forums. Hopefully I'm not stepping out of bounds by posting this. As you can see performance is an issue in SolidWorks as well:

https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/201949

-Seth M. Holmes