Pattern sketch elements?

Is it possible to pattern elements in a part sketch?  For example, if I want to add a hole pattern to part, but do that in the part sketch, rather than as a feature pattern. 

Thanks,

Pat

8 REPLIES

Re: Pattern sketch elements?

You can pattern a sketch but you can't pattern within a sketch.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Thanks.  You can create a pattern within a separate sketch (not a part sketch), and then use that to create patterned features.  I came across another post that explained how that works, and for my purposes that will work also.  Still, it would be useful to be able directly pattern 2D objects within a sketch (any type). I'm sure that's been requested, but probably not easy to add.

Pat

Like I said, you can also pattern a sketch instead of features. The pattern instances of the sketch will be curves, not sketch entities so will appear thicker than sketches.

We use this sometimes so that we can show things like perforated sheet metal on drafts without having to carry the overhead of part features everywhere the part is used.

Bruce Shand

"We use this sometimes so that we can show things like perforated sheet metal on drafts without having to carry the overhead of part features everywhere the part is used"

That's cool. Perhaps this is how I can show diamond plate and expanded metal patterns of parts in draft.

I was trying to do that with Jpegs, but since the materials changed between ST 6 and 7, I have not had the time to set that up again.

Just thought I'd mention that by the way there is a way to make simplification settings follow configurations and to apply them in draft views.

The point being that you can, say, pattern your perf sheet holes in the model, simplify them out so you can turn on/off display of them in models and drafts. The problem is that it's not well documented in the help about how to do so. There are secret, undocumented key presses and arcane configurations settings involved.

This would be in lieu of using the pattern of sketch example I mentioned before.

I opened an IR with GTAC last week on this and got feedback today on the how-tos.

Bruce Shand

[ Edited ]

I would love to see that. I have to use expanded metal all the time. It's very unclear to draft things like "Bend two diamonds over" when I don't show the diamonds. This is a case where I can't give a fixed bending dimension because the diamond sizes are inconsistently manufactured in the raw plate.

[ Edited ]

bshand wrote:

Like I said, you can also pattern a sketch instead of features. The pattern instances of the sketch will be curves, not sketch entities so will appear thicker than sketches.

We use this sometimes so that we can show things like perforated sheet metal on drafts without having to carry the overhead of part features everywhere the part is used.

Joining this late... 

although this method doesnt help with being able to pattern inside a sketch like every other design software on earth, it may be helpful if it would include the location of the original curve that you are patterning. is there a way to have it included? 

here is why doing it any other way is inefficient and cumbersome.. I have a box... a box with an inner and outer shell... i need to make a series of small holes in all sides with the same pattern but each side has different holes ommited. I want to be able to do this efficiently like i would in any other design software and pattern a circle then picking which ones i want to use for each sides holes. 

Hi @JCox

maybe I haven't understand You correctly, but as far as I understand Your request, You can get this using blocks in the sketches on different planes of Your box.

Afterwards You can "Duplicate" features (one single hole set) to any of the block instances in Your part.

Maybe this helps.

regards
Wolfgang