Perforated Sheet Metal

Builder
Builder

Hello peeps,

I am having some difficulty using the pattern command, it keeps wanting to make circular patterns, to make an array of of holes in sheet metal. How would you go about making perforated sheet metal?

8 REPLIES

Re: Perforated Sheet Metal

Genius
Genius

Once you enter the pattern command there is an option for rectangular or circular patterns in the features tab.

Bob Henry

Manager of Engineering - Highwall Miners
Caterpillar Global Mining LLC
Houston, PA

Builder
Builder

I got it. I just needed to make one hole then do a pattern. I was making a small pattern hoping SE would recognize it but it did not.

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend
Once you start the pattern command, you have to pick circular or square profile in the main toolbar. It should remember which one you used last.

You can use the stagger options of the pattern command to cut all the holes to represent a piece of perforated metal, . With these options, you can stagger rows or columns, and adjust the offset. We usually don't fully perforate parts made from perforated metal. Instead we only cut a small patter of holes to represent the pattern, and indicate that the part should be made from perforated material.

We normally don't want to deal with the performance issues that come from recalculating all of those cuts, so we model the part as if it was made with sheet metal, and cut a small pattern of holes to indicate that it is perforated.

Phenom
Phenom

Good work around Jinglis.

I had a set of bit maps I was using for expanded metal in ST6. It cost so much time to manage and learn the material editing details I gave up and stopped using them at all.

I now rely on the parts list to let them know if it's 12 gage carbon sheet, expanded, pref plate, etc...

I wish SE had built in bit maps/materials for expanded metal, perf plate, screens, and diamond plate. They would have to have a bit map for each specific style is the problem. Expanded metal  is the worst of them to make look right.

I adressed this because I have to create bend tables based on the size of a diamond (that varries, even within a sheet). Finding the avarage and theoridical actual shapes is not easy.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

jinglis wrote:
We normally don't want to deal with the performance issues that come from recalculating all of those cuts, so we model the part as if it was made with sheet metal, and cut a small pattern of holes to indicate that it is perforated.

I shuddered when I saw the title of this post, remembering back to slower system days.....as I have many parts modelled, some with very high count patterns [performance suffers big time, with each change] in them, and they have to be there, for the renders to work right.

Plus saving out the DXF for the Laser &/or Punch will only output the same as what is modelled.

Vogue_100_B2_DBL_IGP [Open] (Img-01).jpg

All I can say is, don't be afraid of modelling them, just be aware of the system demands if you do.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP1] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Phenom
Phenom

An 18" square of expanded metal made my old system crawl. My new system is just enough power in that I dont have to wait more than 30 seconds for any of my most complex models to load. (4.5 Ghz dual core, Raid 0-SSD(6ms/each), 32 Gigs, Nvidia K5200)

Builder
Builder

I have noticed the performance hit. I have a new dell T3610 workstation and it brought it to its knees when I was making, cutting and deforming perforated metal in SE. I am working with a xeon @ 3.7 Ghz (8 threads), 16 gb ram, ssd, and a lower end K2000 card.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Does this have to be a perforated metal?  I was looking closer and thinking perhaps a wire cloth / wire mesh material may be better? www.bwire.com

This site shows what I am thinking of - perhaps a standard 10 x 10 wire mesh - with something like a small wire diameter?  Is this something you have considered?