Performance Issue with ST9

Creator
Creator

Hey everyone,

yesterday i noticed that my Solid Edge ST9 is very slow compared to the last time i used it. 

It is so slow that even an empty 3D-Part is lagging extremely hard when i turn it.

I definitly know that my Hardware can handle SolidEdge because as i said i used the Program on this Laptop for at least 2 Months now and it worked good and ran very smooth.

I´ve done some testing already and found out that Solid edge only uses my Intel CPU Graphics and not the main Graphics Card at the Moment but i dont know if that causes the issue or if SE used my main Card when it was running well.

I have tried varying the Settings for Displaying but even on the lowest, Software-Driven, SE only runs very laggy.

Before this issue appeared the Settings were set to Autoconfigure.

My Specs: 

Windows 10

Intel Core i7 6700HQ @ 2,6 GHz, 8GB Ram and a NVIDIA Geforce GTX 960M Graphics card.

The Integrated Graphics are Intel HD 530.

Solid Edge is installed on my 128GB SSD

What Confuses me is that i cannot seem to change the GPU that solid edge uses, because even if i go to the NVIDIA Control Panel and select Solid Edge as a Program that can only use the NVIDIA Card it still wont use it.

18 REPLIES

Re: Performance Issue with ST9

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

You should be able to disable the onboard Intel video through the bios.  Disabling the Intel adapter through BIOS will then force the machine to use the Nvidia adapter for *all* programs.  Even if you try this test temporarily it should then confirm any suspicions or concerns over graphics being the cause of the performance lag.

Creator
Creator

okay i will try that for Troubleshooting the issue then.

But long term that would propably not be a good Solution because it would drop my Laptops batterylife extremely low.

Creator
Creator

So ive just been in my BIOS and i checked every Menu in there and there was no Settng to be found do disable Internal Graphics.. tho im not an expert in BIOS i might ask my Father at the Weekend if he can help there.

But im pretty sure i didnt miss anything

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

And I'm not sure about the GeForce driver, but the NVIDIA Quadro driver is responsible for managing the "hybrid" graphics and contains the profiles for which programs should use the Quadro card.  Even if the GeForce does do the same, doubtful it will have any profile related to Solid Edge so you would probably need to create it.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Since you are running Windows 10, can you RMB on the Solid Edge icon on the desktop or the executable itself and select the 'Run with graphics processor' entry on the context menu? From there you can choose to run it with the specified processor or change the default.

Greg

Creator
Creator
I will try that when i am back at Home tomorrow.
Thanks for the Help

Creator
Creator
I will try that when i am back at Home tomorrow.
Thanks for the Help

Creator
Creator

So i´ve tried the "run with graphics processor" now and it didnt improve the performance but it was already set to use my GTX as standard anyways.

Weird thing is that when i press ctrl+alt+double click Mousewheel then it still shows the Intel Prozessor.

Might be that it used the GTX all the time but just doesn´t show it. Then the issue would be something Software related most likely

Creator
Creator

Just a quick Update i´ve now found out that if i start SE using the integrated graphics with the "run with graphics processor" option then it works fine.

I guess it used the GTX previously and worked fine but maybe the latest NVIDIA Driver messed something up and my card doesnt Support SE that well anymore.

So Problem is averted tho i still dont know why SE doesnt like my GTX anymore