Physical Property Manager only a 'viewer'

Legend
Legend

Hello to all,

i'm wondering if i am the only one who is disapointed about how the physical property manager works at the moment. In earlier version it was possible to directly insert a density and an accuracy for the parts.

I used it always to insert a density for purchased parts, because for this parts i don't select a material (eg. for parts which consist out of plastic and steel i choose 3.0 kg/dm³).

My reseller has shown me a workaround, but it is a lot more complicated and needs much more clicks.

In ST6MPX it was still working the way i want, in around ST7MPX the regression Smiley Frustrated happend. See attached pictures.

Greetings from Germany
Christian Kunkel
https://c-k-m.info
4 REPLIES

Re: Physical Property Manager only a 'viewer'

Phenom
Phenom

In my opinion changing the density to get the correct mass for purchased parts is the workaround. The correct way to do it is to manually input the mass, which you can do directly in the assembly properties table or under material properties dialog for individual parts. Just remember to select 'User Defined'.

Capture.JPG

EDIT: Or just create a custom material for 'plastic purchased part' or whatever with any density you want.

Legend
Legend

Hello Alex,

for "big" purchase components i put the correct mass from the datasheet in the parts with the user defined settings.

But for all the small parts, special screws, bushings and so on it was nice to put directly the density in the field when i knew it was any type of steel or alloy.

I dont want a material in the parts list for the purchase parts.

Greetings from Germany
Christian Kunkel
https://c-k-m.info

Phenom
Phenom

You could call the custom material N/A (not applicable) or whatever the equivalent in German is!

Genius
Genius

I use a few dummy materials for models of mixed material that we get from vendors such as Rotork and Limitorque so I set the dummy material to 0 density and just plug in the weight off of the data sheet.

Bolts and nuts etc. I filled out a materials folder full of SA193-B7 etc. with a density of .290 lb/cuin.