Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pierce point?

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Is there an easy way to locate the pierce point of a pipe going through a sheet without using an extra set of sketches?

Please look at the attached file. I would like to locate circular holes in the sheet where the pipe passes through in a way that if the pipe moves or rotates, the holes follow the penetration point.

To be more specific, open the last sketch in the sheet file, is there a way within that sketch to find the pierce point?

10 REPLIES

Re: Pierce point?

Phenom
Phenom

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Phenom
Phenom

Hope that helps and was what you were looking for.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

Phenom
Phenom

I took it further in this one

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Thank you nominum38.

All kinds of stuff I never use.

So it can be done, you use an interpart copy, then two additional sketches in between to make that work. 

Is there any way to make the intersection command available when creating a 2D sketch in a part?

Can the Coordinate axis of the pipe be used for the intersection to an assembly sketch, then locate the parts 2D sketch on the inersection created from that? would remove the inter part copy and keypoint curve steps.

I have never understood why inter part copy command is used for anything. Doesent "piers on" when in a sketch do the same thing?

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @12GAGE

I am using interpart copy to create a mirrored copy, for example, having LH - creating RH, directly connected to the original. 

This command is great to un-parametrise the original part and keep its copy without the whole pathfinder tree.

regards,

Arek

Production: SE ST10 MP8
;

Phenom
Phenom

I have found interpart copy to work more reliably than just having peers on. And in this instance, interpart copy was necessary in order to get the axis of that pipe. Didn't actually need the sketches, I would have preferred to use the hole command honestly.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

Legend
Legend

Peers will update when you copy and have new components, I've never gotten inner part to update to new components.

As for mirroring a part, how is inner part better than part copy?

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

If the hole command was used, how would that maky any change to what is required to find the pierce point?

The hole command would just be a different feature using the pierce point.

Phenom
Phenom

Yes it would. But it wouldn't be a sketch. That's all I was saying really.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"