Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe V-Groove

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I am trying to re-create a model in Solid Edge to create a v-groove edge preparation on a pipe joint. I cannot figure out a way to use the chamfer command in Solid Edge to produce the same results as Inventor. See image below and Solid Edge files.

pipe_v-groove.jpg

David McMahon
Solid Edge ST10, MP5
HP Z2 Mini, Windows 10
9 REPLIES

Betreff: Pipe V-Groove

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @David_McMahon

I think this is due to the fact that Solid Edge has a different rule for creating a chamfer.

And I will not further evaluate, wether it is good or not.

At the moment it is at it is.

A chamfer, or better to say an equal chamfer, uses an equal distance on one position (suppose the largest/biggest one) and then - don't ask me.

I can't say what developers have used as rule for calculating it

What I did, was, to first create an standard equal chamfer to see, that this is exactly the wrong result as You have seen it.

Ok, and then I used two times an offset edge with chamfer value (2mm), connect them with a blue-surf and did a boolean subtract to get the proper surface

(view in My Videos)

regards
Wolfgang

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@hawcad

Thanks for the response. Your method does work, but I was hoping to create the v-groove as a frame generator  assembly feature. Is that possible?

David McMahon
Solid Edge ST10, MP5
HP Z2 Mini, Windows 10

Phenom
Phenom

@David_McMahon I have to say I didn't believe you and @hawcad until I tried it for myself. @hawcad is correct, and hence I don't belive you can do this 'properly' as an assembly feature, handily at least.

My opinon would be that SE is calculating this wrong as it's not keeping the specified offset around the whole curve , and while it's not a short term solution, it is something you could log with your reseller/Siemens to be fixed in a MP if they agree it's not working as expected.

Hi @Alex_H

I also see this as a bug or wrong feature.

But the Chamfer always worked so, as long as I can remember, what doesn't mean, that this is OK.

regards
Wolfgang

Re: Pipe V-Groove

Phenom
Phenom

I can only think of a workaround for frame, and I'm not even sure if it is possible. But maybe you could have a ellipse at the intersection between two sections of pipe, then use that ellipse as the path for a swept cutout? Or can you even do a swept cutout at the assembly level?

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Hi @nominus38

no, not that I know it!

Only standard Protrusions, CutOuts, Holes, Chamfers and Rounds and positive sweeps (weldment assembly) are possible 

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

Can you subtract a sweep from the frame members maybe?

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hi,

I think this is a parasolid issue. I had tested it long years ago in NX and SE and the results were same... AI runs on shapemanager and it seems chamfer has a "better" implementation...

There are some non parasolid softwares what makes same chamfer as AI...

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@Imics

Thanks for the follow-up. Yes, I agree, it does appear to be a Parasolid issue. Out of curiosity, I tried to the same pipe chamfer in Onshape which also uses Parasolid and got the same result.

As other users have pointed out, there do appear to be works-arounds, but none that I have figured out using assembly features in frame generator which is what I had hoped for.

David McMahon
Solid Edge ST10, MP5
HP Z2 Mini, Windows 10