Solved! Go to solution

Pipe/frame total length

Hello

Is there a easier way to measure the total pipe/frame length, without making a 2d draft?

I use ST8 and frame.

Regards

7 REPLIES

Betreff: Pipe/frame total length

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Yes it seems, that the BOM info for total length only is available within draft.

It of course isn't the most elegantly way but it leads to the result with following procedere:

You can measure the volume of Your pipe/frame and the cross section of it very easily with the measurement tools in ST8.

And You can save those results to the variable table too.

And now You can calculate the length with Volume/Area

20160907_0832.PNG20160907_0838.PNG

Hope it helps

regards
Wolfgang

[ Edited ]

Hi to all Edgers,

what I just have seen and found is a very strange (false) behaviour of ST9 when using thos measerment variables mentioned before.

They should be linked to the original volume/area but the variables are change only after a modification of that linked body and they show the results of the former body dimension.

I have created a small pipe/frame to explain the procedere and I lhave linked volume and area to according variables.

The first result just is fine but - why do I always try to make it better and go further then necessary - changing the original pipe body, I assumed, should change the length variable too.

But It didn't!

Whow!

OK, change it back to the original value and - whow - now the results for the first change are seen!

See video and please let me know wether I'm doing something wrong or this is a bug of ST9

Thanks

You can see, that Volume and Area are changing not before modiying the dimension the second time

regards
Wolfgang

Hi

In my assembly, I have a lot of pipes and frame. 

Is your calcultion made in SE?

Is it possible to make a BOM in draft, with only pipes and frame?

Thanks for the help

Regards

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author RDM
‎09-08-2016 01:08 AM

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Yes as well as the calculation and the extraction of area/volume are done in Solid Edge only.

And Yes, I think that a draft view of pipes/frames only also is possible and done easily

IMHO I usually put pipes and frames in subassemblies, so to create a draft of them then is no extra work.

But You also can use configurations (select frames and use Show Only with a save as configuration) or even You can define it in the drawing view only using a Query for name contain "frame" to find them

regards
Wolfgang

Re: Pipe/frame total length

You can, but it's not easy.

Lets say you rename/Expose "ExtrudedProtrusion_1_FiniteDepth" To L for simplicity.

Each part has an L, link it to the assembly.

Add all the L's together.

[ Edited ]

RDM wrote:

Is it possible to make a BOM in draft, with only pipes and frame?

You can do it with configurations as @hawcad said and you can also use the list control tab in the parts list properties. Using configurations is more direct and simpler IMO.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

<<You can measure the volume of Your pipe/frame and the cross section of it very easily with the measurement tools in ST8.

And You can save those results to the variable table too.

And now You can calculate the length with Volume/Area>>

Unfortunately, owing to mitres & coping within the frame, the volume of the whole and the effective lengths of the individual parts are not directly related.

An alternative (approximate) answer can also be found by "weighing" the frame within the assembly(Inspect;properties) and dividing by the mass/metre (easy if the frame section has been saved as a 1.0m part)

Defining & Exposing the effective length in the Variables table (as suggested by 12gage below) might be more accurate but take longer.