Placement Window Trimetric

I have a user that likes to place surface mount parts in circuit boards.  Up until ST7 the preview pane orientation was an isometric view.  They could orient the PCB in isometric, and then just drag the parts in and they came in at an iso orientation.  They would only have to mate the bottom surface and then drag the part to a location.  Now the parts come in at the orientation of the preview pane (defaulted to trimetric).  This causes extra work to now have to align a plane with the edge of the circuit board.  Is there a way to default the preview pane back to isometric so that the parts when place come in at an isometric orientation?  I know that you can rotate them around in the preview pane by pressing shift right button, but there is no way to get them oriented to isometric exactly with that method.

4 REPLIES

Re: Placement Window Trimetric

Hmmm, mine is defaulted to dimetric. Why don't they just orient the assembly they're bringing parts into at the same orientation as the preview pane?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP3 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

The preview was changed to a dimetric view to match the default orientation of the assembly view.

I finally talked to the user, and it is a combination to do it the way they were doing it.  First they have to hit the dimetric view shortcut.  Then they have to flip the orientation over, so that the view orientation matches the correct preview orientation.  It is just kind of a pain that SE changes things just to change things after you have been doing things one way for so many years.

I wonder if you could fool around with the assembly template to make it work the way you want.
Using SE since V12, 2002