Plane between to solids

Hello all, I want to place a plane between to solid parts in an assembly.

I know from Inventor 7 (yup it is an old version in my past workplace) that it is possible to place a plane between two faces and it will update itself after the two faces change in lenght.

Is it prossible in Solid Edge, I really miss the option.

-------
Daniël Schuiling
Solid Edge ST7
Teamcenter 10
20 REPLIES

Re: Plane between to solids

Phenom
Phenom

I don't think it is a function, I solve this by drawing a sketch betweet the parts and connect my face to the midpoint of this line.

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST10 & AutoCAD 2018.1 user

I did this, but it is a workaround. I want it faster.
I will make an ER about this.
-------
Daniël Schuiling
Solid Edge ST7
Teamcenter 10

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

DanielMCMLXXXII wrote:

Hello all, I want to place a plane between to solid parts in an assembly.

I know from Inventor 7 (yup it is an old version in my past workplace) that it is possible to place a plane between two faces and it will update itself after the two faces change in lenght.

Is it prossible in Solid Edge, I really miss the option.

I assume you mean "two faces change in distance" not "length?

Anyway, you can do it a different way than Joris' by creating a variable via the measure command between the two faces then assign the plane control variable as 1/2 the created variable.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Yup, you are right. English is not my native language so sorry about that.

Also a possible solution, but still a work-around. I want a quick and dirty solution via one button.

I have a IR number: IR#7588204
-------
Daniël Schuiling
Solid Edge ST7
Teamcenter 10

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I understand and agree with you. But who knows what priority the ER will get and therefore how long until you see it, if ever.

Bruce Shand

Smiley LOL True that.

I hope some people will support this IR.

To be honest, I forgot about your suggested work-around. In the past I have used it in SE but it slipped my mind to even use it now.

-------
Daniël Schuiling
Solid Edge ST7
Teamcenter 10

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I think Joris' method is good too. The downside is that sketches can sometimes get "broken" in terms of their definition planes and relates. The upside being a visual clue or reminder on screen or in the pathfinder to users as to how the plane is controlled.

That's my take anyway. Flip a coin.

Bruce Shand

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Just curious:  What is the use case for having the plane centered between the two faces and updating to stay centered if the distance changes between the two faces.  Are you using this plane for something else?

Kevin Grayson
Solid Edge Technical Consultant
kevin.grayson@siemens.com

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

It's sort of an inversion of the center plane mate but rather than the plane controlling the location of the parts, the parts control the location of the plane. We'll have to wait for @DanielMCMLXXXII to answer your question but apparently it's useful.

Bruce Shand