Solved! Go to solution

Planes in sync

Is there any way to make planes dynamically move with the model like they do in ordered?

i.e. When you define, say, a parallel plane in ordered you can pick a vertex, define a distance, etc. and it moves as you change the model.

In sync I guess any parameter which defines a plane's initial location goes directly into the dustbin of history and is therefore gone.

Any workarounds or do I just do it in ordered?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200
10 REPLIES

Re: Planes in sync

I've wrestled with this sort of question myself a little bit. Planes are reference geometry. Synchronous is all about the solid model. In Synchronous, an associative plane really doesn't serve any purpose.

But you could attach an ordered plane (or a planar surface) to a Synchronous body.

Or you can move a sketch synchronously. You can also move a plane synchronously, but any sketch on it will not move with it.

Is there some purpose you have for the plane you want to move?

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

Thanks, Matt.

The plane is to serve as a mating surface. In some cases it lies on a line or end vertex, in others it's tangent to a 180 degree curve so it's on the silhouette. The model width varies so they need to move with it.

Planes are easier for the user to see, grab and constrain to in an assembly. No need to zoom to click the vertex or fuss with a tangency.

I'm assuming there's nothing else for me to do so I'm creating the planes in ordered attached to the sync body.

I guess I have to take issue with "In synchronous, an associative plane really doesn't serve any purpose."

Bruce Shand

Yeah, the ordered plane on the sync model gets you where you want to go, I think. If you want ease of editing, lack of mystery design intent, synch is the way.

Maybe "doesn't serve any purpose" was the wrong thing to say. Sync just isn't the way to create that stuff.

Remember, this is not a "winner take all" war between Sync and Ordered. It's really about these two methods working together. You found a great way for them to work together.

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author bshand
‎09-24-2015 11:50 AM

Guys,

I suggest using 3D (persist) relationships between reference planes and model. This can be useful many times...

Here is a short video:

Sorry for HUN UI! Smiley Wink

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

I get your winner-take-all statement and agree with using mixed mode. Many users here are new to solid modeling and they learned on ST using sync and are a little thrown by ordered. I think that's the opposite of what's usual in most of our worlds. I figure it's best if I can keep everything in sync but they're just going to have to learn.

Bruce Shand

[ Edited ]

@Imics,

I didn't even watch your video but I tried your suggestion and dang if it isn't perfect.

You are THE MAN once again.

Now I'm backpedaling on what I've done so far.

Thanks to you and Matt.

Bruce Shand

Yeah, forgot about that. Good one.

[ Edited ]

Is it possible to turn off persist after defining the relationship? I don't need to I'm just curious.

Never mind. I watched the video.

Bruce Shand

Short answer: Yes!

BR,
Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/