Please help... My files have changed to Imperial Measurement even though they where done in Metric

Experimenter
Experimenter

Someone please help, I'm new to all this.

I've now created 5 or 6 new products using this brilliant Siemen programme, however I have stumbled upon a problem...

I originally drew the items with metric dimensions, using "mm" values to define the lengths etc I distinctly remember making sure it was all in mm's.

I saved the drawings in .dft, .dwg and .dxf formats. The latest just this morning.

I have just come to amend my latest product to find that while the values have remained the same all the dimension have become inches not mm's/

So a 400mm line this morning is showing as a 400" line now.... What has happened?

I have checked my other drawings and this is happening to all my drawings, in all the format i saved them in.... I am extremely confused... Some one tell me you can help.

I have attached the files below, it may be an issue with the software I have.... my head is hurting now -

Thankyou in advance.

6 REPLIES

Re: Please help... My files have changed to Imperial Measurement even though they where done in Metr

Legend
Legend
Did you make sure the units were set to the appropriate system before you started? click the application button > Solid Edge Options > Units. The drawing you attached is set up as inch, pound, second.
Using SE since V12, 2002

Re: Please help... My files have changed to Imperial Measurement even though they where done in Metr

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks for replying.

I have gone in to the Solid Edge Option and can not find the "units" tab you mention.

As I say when I originally drew the item it was definitely in mm's. What could have changed this?

Legend
Legend

I'm not sure how it could have changed. Did you start with a metric template? What version are you using? Pre ST7 the units are under File Properties.

Using SE since V12, 2002

Legend
Legend
Anyway, an inch is exactly 25.4mm so if it is coming out as 400in instead of 400mm use the scale command and reduce it in size by a factor of 1/25.4.
Using SE since V12, 2002

Experimenter
Experimenter
I'm using ST6, as I say i'm new to all this, just dipping my toe in the water to
get the ball rolling on prototypes.

I definitely started in metric, I sent the file to a colleague and he has opened
it up in a free viewer and it is showing up in metric. However if I export it
now it is showing up as imperial.... its very odd.

I will look for the fixes you mention.

Thanks again

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there,

Something else to add to this.....when Importing and Exporting file to & from Solid Edge, there are "Options" for each file type, and action.....check these have the unit settings applied to get the desired results.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10