Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point Clouds solution for ST9

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi all,

I've read posts about importing points clouds that date back to 2013.

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Forum/Point-Cloud-solution/m-p/1275#M67

4 to 5 years later, do we have a clearer way to work with scanned point clouds before ST10 ? I've tried numerous softwares that were stated in earlier posts ( RHino, Revit,Point cab...)

But it all seems expensive just to convert the point clouds to solid or mesh format that we can import into Solid Edge.

Any recent experience from the community?

Thanks!

ST9
Conveyor and industrial equipment designer.
Giving SE a chance.
5 REPLIES

Re: Point Clouds solution for ST9

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Point clouds need to be converted to a mesh prior to importing into Solid Edge to make them useful, and then I would want to use ST10 as a minimum to work with them using Convergent Modeling or Reverse Engineering tools.  I would not look for Solid Edge to ever work with point clouds because from my experience most scanning tools have the software option to output a mesh.  Curious what scanning tool you are using that does not have this capability?

Ken

Production: ST10 MP6
Testing: SE 2019

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi KennyG,

We are not using any scanning tools for the moment. This is for future reference only, because more and more projects are made using scanning instead of going on site and measuring everything by hand and redrawing every thing. We woudlnt be the ones scanning, I think,  we would only receive the point clouds and process them .We worked with a .rcs lately that we received and opened in NAvisWork to take dimensions. If we could have converted it to mesh or solid( .step) and imported  directly into solid edge , time would have been greatly saved.

ST9
Giving SE a chance.

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

As Kenny G says, pretty much everything produces a triangle mesh these days, so no point in wasting Solid Edge resources to write that code. I know you are probably talking terrain data? If so, search Terrain in the Solid Edge help for info on the little known "Publish Terrain Models" command. It does also require STL though -- there are several tools out there that will make STL from TIN data.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi dcstaples,

it's more for scanning existing structures / conveyors/ machinery/plate work to modify or add to them other fabricated steel. Am I to understand that the people who sent us the point clouds in ".rcs" format could have easily sent us a mesh format to be imported in solid edge?

Thanks

ST9
Giving SE a chance.

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Scanning of "plants" tends to be a lot more dense, so the mesh may choke CAD or may need to be decimated before bringing into CAD. But yes, I would ask them for triangles not points. Preferably STL which almost everyone supports now.

I am sure they may be reasons for still being on ST9, but I would encourage getting more modern quickly if you intend to pursue this area. Lots of investment in Solid Edge in this area in ST10 and ST11 (Solid Edge 2019). For example in Solid Edge 2019 reading STLs can be 5X faster and placing planes and cylinders on meshes maybe even 50X faster. And some other cool stuff I can't talk about yet... :-)

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development