Preferred Method for Dimensioning Theoretical Sharp Corners Instead of Tangencies

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Not sure how best to explain this...  I typically create punch face details from models of the parts we intend to mold using the boolean operation.  The punch model is a child of the part.

A lot of times, there are complex shaped raised and depressed areas on our punch faces that have to be drafted and corners broken with radii.  The best way to show these profiles on a drawing is to show a view looking straight at the face of the tool.  In doing that, there is no easy way that I know of to dimension the profile of the feature since it does not have any sharp edges.

The only way I know of in Creo Parametric is to project a sketch from the part model before adding rounds.  That sketch can then be projected from the part model to the punch model and shown in the drawing.  It's very time consuming and has a high suck factor (even for Creo).

Does anyone know if Solid Edge has a more robust way of doing this?  I think it would be a great enhancement if it were possible.  Maybe as a display option like showing/hiding tangent edges.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

12 REPLIES

Re: Preferred Method for Dimensioning Theoretical Sharp Corners Instead of Tangencies

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Hi Matt,

Are you referring to methods similar to dimensioning bent edges etc. for sheet metal?  Solid Edge can find intersections of straight lines when there are fillets and rounds present.  You can either mouse over the edges and then SE will find the intersection or use the "I" to snap to intersections.  For more complex shapes, you might need to use sections views.  Can you post a picture of what you want to dimension?

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Re: Preferred Method for Dimensioning Theoretical Sharp Corners Instead of Tangencies

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Here is a link to mold line dimensioning:

http://www.cadlab.tuc.gr/proehelp/sheetmet/dimensi0.htm

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

Sometimes you have zoom in to get intersections. This is not true diameter dimensioing. It wouldn't find intersection

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

My typical work around is to draw in view, and use dotted lines to create the corner that I want to dimension too. I manly have to use this when a sheet metal parts have rounded 45 deg corners.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I'm not sure if the sheetmetal option will work for me, but I don't have much experience working with that extension of Solid Edge.

I don't have a picture I can share, but here's a different scenerio...  Say you're going to mint a coin with a president's head or something on it.  On the coin, the likeness of the head will be raised .040 above the coin face and drafted inwards 20°  Back in the 2d cad days, you would draw the shape of the head at the dimensions for face level and offset the calculated distance to show the draft.  You could then accurately dimension the entire shape from one top view.  3d modeling takes all that away if you need to break edges as the radii takes away your start and end points. You now have to create section views from every conceivable angle.  I'm sure I sound crazy but it would be a real benefit if the software were able to project theo. sharp corners like it can with tangent edges.  I guess the way I've been doing it with sketches is best.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Matt

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi, Matt,

This would be a nice feature, i used this feature when i did a SWorks Training course and do hope Solid Edge would add this feature. 

Im sure you can find a video on youtube.  Does make it quicker that hovering over lines to pick up intersections. 

Chris

ST8 MP11 / ST9 MP02

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Chris,

Do you by any chance remember what Solidworks called their feature?

Matt

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Its Called Virtual Sharps and is something you do in the drawing environment. 

For solid edge if you have Intersection selected in the Intellisketch options box it should be easier to dimension to. 

ST8 MP11 / ST9 MP02

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Chris,

The Virtual Sharps option in Solidworks is not quite what I'm looking to do.  The attached screenshot is my goal.  It's kind of a pain and not very robust, but works.  A display option like this would be great in Solid Edge.

Capture.JPG