Solved! Go to solution

Pretty easy Question, How do I move an entire sketch down without it freaking out and changing?

I'm new to solid edge, but I'm pretty well aquainted with the software by now.  I have a sketch with some curved geometry (its the metal part of a drip tray from a Keurig Coffee maker), and after I finished the sketch, I noticed that the sketch was .017" above the reference plane.  In theory I could leave it this way, but I would like to center it on the plane.  If I use the connect command on the bottom of the circle, then on the midpoint of the reference plane, the sketch completely changes. Is there a way to just move the entire sketch down .017", so it lines up with the reference plane?

Also, another quick and random question.  When I generate the sketch and extrude it to form the drip tray, when I use the hole command and select the plane from the protrusion, the plane is turned about 15 degrees.  The sketch only has 2 straight lines, so is the plane using these lines to form the direction of the plane? How can I make the plane I want to use to cut holes the same as the base reference plane? I'm sorry for the length, and any help is greatly appreciated. I'll upload the file, but I don't know if you can read it because it is a University copy (ST4). Also, I am in ordered mode. 

Thanks,

Brian Mixon

5 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by KennyG (Esteemed Contributor)
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Hi Brian,   I'm not able to open the file because of it's...

Hi Brian,

I'm not able to open the file because of it's Educational format lock. [can see it in the preview pane though..so see what you mean]

Sketch repositioning,...if you right click on the sketch and choose edit definition, then update it to a coincident plane.

As to the holes, when selecting a face for the orientation, this can make odd first up setting, you can sometimes rotate the model to get another choice, but in your case, I'd suggest placing them on a reference plane.

HTH

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Re: Hi Brian,   I'm not able to open the file because of it's...

I finally just put the holes on the x-y base reference plane. As far as moving the sketch down, it is drawn on the x-y plane, and as you can probably see, it is just above the x-axis. You told me to update it to a coincident plane, so how exactly would you do that? As mentioned above, I tried connecting the bottom of the circle to the midpoint of the y-axis using the connect command, but the sketch changes dramatically. Am I missing something? Again, Thanks for your help Sean!

Ahhhh...I finally viewed your file using Student Edition, and I see now what your looking to do.
Actually, you just need to right click on the sketch listed in the pathfinder, choose edit profile, then Ctrl+A to select all the geometry & dimensions, then the select the Move command, pick the target point to move from & then to....tick to accept and your done.
Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

This worked perfectly, thanks for your help! You'll probably be seeing me post quite a few questions over the next few months, this the most fun college class I've taken thus far, again thanks for your help

[ Edited ]

Very welcome....keep it coming, whenever you need to. There is SOO much knowledge in this community, and am glad I can participate [& sometimes help] from time to time.

I wish there was Solid Edge when I was at school....I guess the best part is, I get paid to play in SE all day. :-)

Best of luck with your studies.

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10