Pretty easy Question, How do I move an entire sketch down without it freaking out and changing?

Pioneer
Pioneer

I'm new to solid edge, but I'm pretty well aquainted with the software by now.  I have a sketch with some curved geometry (its the metal part of a drip tray from a Keurig Coffee maker), and after I finished the sketch, I noticed that the sketch was .017" above the reference plane.  In theory I could leave it this way, but I would like to center it on the plane.  If I use the connect command on the bottom of the circle, then on the midpoint of the reference plane, the sketch completely changes. Is there a way to just move the entire sketch down .017", so it lines up with the reference plane?

Also, another quick and random question.  When I generate the sketch and extrude it to form the drip tray, when I use the hole command and select the plane from the protrusion, the plane is turned about 15 degrees.  The sketch only has 2 straight lines, so is the plane using these lines to form the direction of the plane? How can I make the plane I want to use to cut holes the same as the base reference plane? I'm sorry for the length, and any help is greatly appreciated. I'll upload the file, but I don't know if you can read it because it is a University copy (ST4). Also, I am in ordered mode. 

Thanks,

Brian Mixon

5 REPLIES

Hi Brian,   I'm not able to open the file because of it's...

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Brian,

I'm not able to open the file because of it's Educational format lock. [can see it in the preview pane though..so see what you mean]

Sketch repositioning,...if you right click on the sketch and choose edit definition, then update it to a coincident plane.

As to the holes, when selecting a face for the orientation, this can make odd first up setting, you can sometimes rotate the model to get another choice, but in your case, I'd suggest placing them on a reference plane.

HTH

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Re: Hi Brian,   I'm not able to open the file because of it's...

Pioneer
Pioneer
I finally just put the holes on the x-y base reference plane. As far as moving the sketch down, it is drawn on the x-y plane, and as you can probably see, it is just above the x-axis. You told me to update it to a coincident plane, so how exactly would you do that? As mentioned above, I tried connecting the bottom of the circle to the midpoint of the y-axis using the connect command, but the sketch changes dramatically. Am I missing something? Again, Thanks for your help Sean!

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
Ahhhh...I finally viewed your file using Student Edition, and I see now what your looking to do.
Actually, you just need to right click on the sketch listed in the pathfinder, choose edit profile, then Ctrl+A to select all the geometry & dimensions, then the select the Move command, pick the target point to move from & then to....tick to accept and your done.
Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

Pioneer
Pioneer
This worked perfectly, thanks for your help! You'll probably be seeing me post quite a few questions over the next few months, this the most fun college class I've taken thus far, again thanks for your help

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Very welcome....keep it coming, whenever you need to. There is SOO much knowledge in this community, and am glad I can participate [& sometimes help] from time to time.

I wish there was Solid Edge when I was at school....I guess the best part is, I get paid to play in SE all day. :-)

Best of luck with your studies.

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10