Solved! Go to solution

Prevent dimension from changing after filleting

This should be an easy one.  Right now, when I fillet a corner, the dimension changes to only show the straight line.  What is the setting I need to change so it shows the length of the original straight line?

5 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author SPXAli
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Re: Prevent dimension from changing after filleting

Simply place the dimension on the two vertical lines instead of the single line.

Two clicks instead of one click.

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

Thank you. I wasn't sure if there was any hidden buttons to switch the behavior like there is with Symmetric Diamter option.

[ Edited ]

It all comes down to design intent, how you want the model to behave, and how you prefer to work, but I typically add fillets as features after the creation of the solid rather than build them into the profile. So rather than have the fillets in the profile they are features that can be edited independently. Just personal preference. 

From your sketch you could also dimension one fillet and use the equals sign to make their radii equal if you plan to always have them equal. Then you change one dimension and both change rather than having to modify two dimensions.

Nothing right or wrong here - just different ways of handling geometry. We all think and solve problems differently, but nice to have different methods available when different behaviors are required.

Bob Henry
Former Manager of Engineering
Caterpillar Global Mining America LLC

I agree with Bob on creating features on the solid model instead of in the sketch. This will help the sketch regenerate faster and also allow quicker edits to the feature for it is available as a separate entity in the tree.

~Tushar

That makes total sense.  One of main pros of ST is the ability to edit solid models.  Adding fillets as features is the way to go.

Thanks Bob.