Print object with wrong measures

Pioneer
Pioneer

Good afternoon.
Will can help me regarding the creation of an object in Solid Edge?
I create an object with 3 ellipses with different values, then I do the Surface on the three ellipses.
Then do the projection of a few lines on the object to make the cut and so far so well, but when I export to press, the object does not come out with the measurements indicated. Ie create a mold of a soccer shin and leg measurements in ellipses (eg. 78 mm (width) by 88 mm (depth), however, when it is printed it is far more open and higher measures Somebody me can help?

18 REPLIES

Re: Print object with wrong measures

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Pakito

Can you share this file?....it'd make it easier to see what your possible stumbling block is.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If you print from a 3D model, typically you need to use the Print settings of using "Print Area" and draging a rectangle that closely fits your model, and then setting to manual scale (1:1).  Be aware that if SE cannot fit the selected area to the paper size and withing the printer margins, the manual scale will change to fit it (best to use the Tab key after typing "1" to see if it stays).

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

Ken brings up a good point about using print area and a manual scale.  I frequently print 1:1 template for doing quick modifications to existing parts.   I find the current method of selecting a window and then hoping it comes back smaller than 1:1 so I can bump the scale to 1:1.  If not, then I have to start again with a new selction area. I think it would be much more efficient to lock in a scale and have SE provide a window that shows what will fit inside it. 

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Pioneer
Pioneer

I did not explain myself right . What do you create an object in 3D Solid Edge with ellipses. After completing the work for the printing he has for example 45 ° opening angle and when I finish printing the object is for example with 70 opening angle. Objective : Taking measures to one leg and create ellipses (example: 68 mm x 78 mm). The print should stay with the angle defined by the 68 mm.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

So are you saying that when you print something, one axis of the print is scaling different than the other axis causing the printed image to be distorted?

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Ken / Kyle, I'm reading @Pakito's post as with the premise, there is something literally lost in translation.

The way I read the context of "print",...as being in the "draft", or the geometry of the part. [I may be off base though]

Still, it would be nice to see a Solid Edge screen image, or the file itself, in order to direct the help better.

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

Pioneer
Pioneer

Measures taken in one leg joining three ellipses at different points.
Then make the cut to be as shown in the picture below, the problem is that the end result of different impression, ie, more open which does not correspond to the measures taken.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Pakito,

Not sure why you're getting geometry differnt to that what you enter. I made a quick & rough model of a shin guard, and it worked exactly as expected. If you were on ST8 I could post the model, and you could just edit it to your dimensions.

The work flow I used was....done in Ordered mode.

Sketch base elipse on [top] plane > Sketch second elipse on [parallel top] plane > Sketch outside shape on [parallel front] plane > Bluesurf between elipse profiles > Project Sketch to surface > Trim surface to projected profile > Thicken the surface to make a solid model....[I also added an edge fillet]....DONE!

ST8_PAR_ShinGuard [Img-01].png

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

Pioneer
Pioneer

Good afternoon SeanCresswell

Yes. I am using Solid Edge Solid Edge 8. I do the design and looks good, however, the impression is that leaves more open.
Is it to print horizontally?
How can I make an impression on PLA in order to play is smooth and quality? I use Repetier and Slicer Cure.
Does the settings are not the best?