Problem renaming a block once I drag it into the library

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

I create blocks for electrical parts by making create a draft view of the 3D model, converting it to a 2D view then making into a block.  Then I drag the block into my library.  It shows up at "symbol1.dft".  In the past, I was able to rename "symbol1.dft" into something useful like "solid state relay.dft".  In ST9, when I try to rename the block SE says it can't because the file is in use - even when it isn't.  I can shut down Solid Edge, restart it, create a new draft file (empty) just so I can see the block library and when I try to rename the block, I get the same message.

Right now, the only way I can rename the file is to completely shut down ST9, open Windows Explorer and rename the file there.

I've renamed lots of blocks like this in previous versions of Solid Edge and never had this problem.  Is this a bug?

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1
4 REPLIES

Re: Problem renaming a block once I drag it into the library

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Not sure, but one question... Do you create a single block and save it as it's own DFT file or do you have a DFT file that is your block library and save the block inside it?

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

PLM World Member Phenom

Hi Ken,

I'll work on a Jing video to demonstrate my workflow and the issues I'm having.  The main issue is that the process worked in earlier versions of SE but not ST9.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

My first guess would be that SE is not letting go of the file in a way that the server.PC understands.

Some revision of SE are better than others for letting the files go after closing. Case by case basis for the type of file and revision of the software.

PLM World Member Phenom

"My first guess would be that SE is not letting go of the file in a way that the server.PC understands."

That seems to be what I'm experiencing.  I've done this process for several version of SE and this is the first time it's given me the error.

Kyle 

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1