Problem using helix cut to create internal thread

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello all,

I ve been trying to create a m18x1.5 internal thread using helix cut command but I couldn't create the cut at the correct place. I added some images to help you to understand the problem im facing.

So  I would like to create a thread up to the end of the bigger hole shown below. I just created a simple triangle to illustrate the thread. I created a centre line which the cut will revolve around and chose pitch as 1.5. but the cut has been created outside of the small hole. l want it to begin from the hexagon till the end of the bigger hole.helix cut 1.pnghelix cut 2.pnghelix cut 3.png

4 REPLIES

Betreff: Problem using helix cut to create internal thread

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @Aeroeng

do it the other way round.

First create the inner hole diameter from which You will cut away the helix for thread.

Same way as in reality.

They used geometry is generating IMHO a Non-Manifold Body situation due to the fact that the upper triangle line is tangent to Your cylinder, where tolerance issue will arrise (this is an assumption of me)

regards
Wolfgang

Pioneer
Pioneer
I put the triangle to the opposite side and tried the cut out. it says part not modified edit feature inputs. I also moved the triangle so it is no longer tangent to the cylinder but I keep getting the same error

Pioneer
Pioneer
PS: regardless where I move the triangle in the larger hole, helix cutout is always around the smaller hole, when I moved the triangle to the small hole, I keep getting error for the cutout but helix add command works

Pioneer
Pioneer
ok I figured out now. rather then putting the triangle inside the whole, I had to put it over the hole on the hexagon so it can cut through the hole