Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem when opening more than one window in ST4

N/A

Hi there,

I'm using the student version of Solid Edge ST4 32-bit on a Window 7 64-bit system. When I open only one window, Solid Edge works fine. But when there is more than one window opened, Solid Edge becomes very slow and can hardly be used. This problem makes working in Solid Edge way harder and it's not much fun.
Does anyone have the same problem or have an idea how to solve the problem?
You would help me a lot getting my course work done in time.

Thanks!

Björn

3 REPLIES

Re: Problem when opening more than one window in ST4

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
You can open multiple documents without problem, just keep in mind that rendering is much slower when multiple windows are visible. Keep each window maximized and switch between them when necessary. You will have much more fun this way... ;-)

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
This is often indicative of using a consumer level graphics card. Most are very efficient when displaying one accelerated graphics window, but are extremely inefficient when displaying multiple accelerated graphics windows. This is why workstation class cards are recomended (NVIDIA Quadro or AMD FirePro). You may try going into your SE options and in the View Heading, uncheck the "Automatic selection" option in the Application Display section and then set the combo box to "Graphics card driven (Direct3D)" and see how that performs.

Ken

Production: ST10 MP5
Testing: SE 2019

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
Ken is right, of course. As we are here on a student NG, I am expecting consumer level graphics card on the user's PC.
For professional graphic cards this should NOT be a problem, but there is always a UI change/flicker when working with separate windows in different environments, which can get nervous on slower machines (independend of graphic card).