Problem with read-only files and rev-manager

I have a user, Mike, that renamed files of an assembly using rev-manager.  After doing this, 4 out of the 5 files that he renamed are read only.  So with that said, we have had a problem with files being read only for awhile now.  Like, files being read-only and there is no one in them.  For instance, I tried to edit a part, it was read-only.  So, I go to our IT guy and he said Robb was in the file.  So I ask Robb and he shows me the only thing he has open in SE is a different part.  So, I have Robb re-boot his workstation and then the file becomes editable.  We have not been able to duplicate the issue in any way.  But this morning, after hearing Mikes issue, I realized that maybe rev-manager might be causing the issue.  I seem to remember a similar issue quit a few releases back.  Anyone else running into this issue or remember it happening before?

We are running ST6 service pack 6.

Thanks guys.

Brian C.

6 REPLIES

Re: Problem with read-only files and rev-manager

Not having an issue here.  How and what do you store your files on?

Ken Grundey
Production: ST9 MP4
Testing: ST10

I have this issue constantly.

I bet if Robb was to simply shut down all his Solid Edge instances rather than restart, you would find you would be able to access the file. Since ST5, Solid Edge has somehow intermittently retained ties to files even when they are closed, and never cleans up those ties until the software is shut down. This will even occasionally show erroneous read-only messages if just a single user is opening a file on his local drive that he opened previously in the same instance of the software and then closed. Requesting write access in a case like this will instantly fix things, because it is you asking for access from yourself!

-Dylan Gondyke

Hi Ken. Well, we are storing our files on a virtual server. I don't have the specs right in front of me but I can get them to you. This problem seemed to pop up with the installation of ST6 a few weeks ago. 1st issue is I can't seem to duplicate the problem consistently. 2nd issue is that a new release of Trend Micro was installed around the same time SE was installed. 3rd issue is that a new backup software, Veeam was installed at that time as well. So there are a whole lot of variables and I can't seem to eliminate any of them. Its a floating license scheme with 21 seats of Solid Edge.

Dylan, I'm not sure if he has tried requesting write access. The goody thing is, just this morning he had 4 files that were read-only. So our IT guy looked and it showed I had them wrapped up. I didn't even have SE open at that point. So Bob (our it guy) kicked me out of them and then Mike could do what he needed to do. Bob restarted the server last night hoping maybe it would fix the issue, but it hasn't yet. And, it looks like it is just one user having issues. I initially thought other users were having the same issue, but it appears its just him.

If closing the SE instance does not eliminate the read only tag, I can't help you much. Smiley Sad

I have no other knowledge to offer on your server/licensing setup, but I will say I know Trend Micro isn't a real popular option for businesses.

-Dylan Gondyke

Its all good Dylan. I appreciate the help.

Brian C.